Can't Cool 5900X Down Enough

Pretended

Hello,

Please check my specs from the signature.

I have a 5900X on which a Scythe Ninja 5 is installed with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut spread between.

With PBO and CPB on, I easily get 91C while running Cinebench R23.

I apply -25 in PBO Manual, still the same.

I apply PBO Manual values of PPT 140 TDC 255 EDC 255. Nope, nothing new.

I input same PPT with lower TDC and EDC. Nope.

I get advised to set the CPU at a constant of 4.5GHz @1.1625v, towards the end of 1st pass in Cinebench multicore, PC shuts down to reveal CPU overheat error when it starts.

I keep PBO off and CPB on, Core Temp reports 89 towards the end of the 1st pass, I abort the test before another overheat comes around.

I keep CPB off and PBO on, my scores diminish by around 2000 points since CPU does not go above 3.7 Ghz and the test is finished at a maximum of 75C this time.

I am lost. I do not know what to do. I purchased the highest components I could afford and cannot keep the rig from getting hot enough to boil a pot of water.

Any ideas?

MoboAsus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)CPUAMD Ryzen 9 5900xRAMCrucial Ballistix Black 2x8GB

GPUInno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4PSUFSP Hydro G Pro 750W 80+ GoldCoolingScythe Ninja 5ChassisZalman N2

What case & fan configuration are you running? Good case airflow can make a borderline cooling setup work a lot better.

MoboAsus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)CPUAMD Ryzen 9 5900xRAMCrucial Ballistix Black 2x8GB

GPUInno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4PSUFSP Hydro G Pro 750W 80+ GoldCoolingScythe Ninja 5ChassisZalman N2

50 minutes ago, Pretended said:

Hello,

Please check my specs from the signature.

I have a 5900X on which a Scythe Ninja 5 is installed with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut spread between.

With PBO and CPB on, I easily get 91C while running Cinebench R23.

I apply -25 in PBO Manual, still the same.

I apply PBO Manual values of PPT 140 TDC 255 EDC 255. Nope, nothing new.

I input same PPT with lower TDC and EDC. Nope.

I get advised to set the CPU at a constant of 4.5GHz @1.1625v, towards the end of 1st pass in Cinebench multicore, PC shuts down to reveal CPU overheat error when it starts.

I keep PBO off and CPB on, Core Temp reports 89 towards the end of the 1st pass, I abort the test before another overheat comes around.

I keep CPB off and PBO on, my scores diminish by around 2000 points since CPU does not go above 3.7 Ghz and the test is finished at a maximum of 75C this time.

I am lost. I do not know what to do. I purchased the highest components I could afford and cannot keep the rig from getting hot enough to boil a pot of water.

Any ideas?

You are obviously overclocking your CPU. With that in mind, reaching high temps is to be expected. A proper and however expensive water cooling setup might be your best choice forward if you want to break records. For day to day operation on you air cooler, I suggest running the cpu at stock settings and increase clocks in small increments, checking that it's stable every time. I would not ever use PBO or any auto OC functionality in the first place. The auto voltage control for example is messed up on some boards. Generally try to keep the max temp below 85C while benching. The Ninja 5 is not a bad heatsink, though I would have gone with a NH-D15 if it were me (if air cooling was the goal). I am not a fan of Scythe fans in general. I have used several of their coolers on the past and the fans need max rpm to have decent enough pressure. Try running them full speed and see if the temps drop. Keep in mind, that if you have a fan curve set to let's say 90C max. the fans will not ramp up fast enough to cool down the tower cooler before the system shuts down. If you want to keep a fan curve for somewhat silent operation, have the fans ramp up to full at 70C on the cpu. Same goes for the case fans as well btw. It might also help to replace the stock Zalman fans (from the looks of it they are fairly generic and probably under performing as well). A 240 mm AIO in the front of the case would have been a better choice, so would a better case in general, one that focuses on air flow. The N2 is kind of an ancient design that has been updated with newer fans and a window. At least it came with fans at all.

Thank you very much for the elaborate reply.

Cinebench easily reaches 90+ in my case whereas people say anything more than 80 looks not so right.

I do not know any fan speed controller softwares to keep these fans at full speed since they are very quiet anyway. I'd love to hear suggestions. (Asus BIOS is confusing in this regard, pass)

I am definitely thinking of switching to a case with better airflow but I am not convinced if it would be the answer at my very easily heated-up case.

From what I can see the Ninja 5 is humongous but doesn't actually cool better than a measly NH-U12S, and its fans have a very low max speed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Well, me & myself (dumb & dumber, if you will) have solved the issue.

When I removed Ninja 5 to reinstall it, I noticed that the fan that was supposed to be an exhaust fan was installed like a cooler one, effectively cooking the CPU from both sides.

As I reversed its orientation, the problem got rectified - Cinebench R23 multi-core test only yielded a maximum of 80 C.

So, yeah, I am a fool. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

News: Just got my PC shut down because of CPU overheat while playing Call of Duty Warzone. HWinfo was showing 90-91 C at the time.

I am lost. I do not know what to do. I do not want to RMA anything.

Just give up on overclocking then.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

I am not overclocking sir, CBP on and PBO on with -30 on all cores in Curve Optimizer.

The only thing I can spend on and hope for better thermals is a new case with better airflow and more room inside. I am looking at CoolerMaster H500 Mesh which is praised a lot by GamerNexus among others.

GN just came out with a review of the ninja 5 and it's pretty poor.

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

GN just came out with a review of the ninja 5 and it's pretty poor.

Oh noes.

Just watched it. I remember a German website producing stellar results for this model against others and well, from what I've experienced so far, I gotta trust Steve better.