Upgrading my friends pc

droidxd00d

Hi guys a few days ago my friend asked me to help upgrade his pc.  He wants to play more modern games, he loves skyrim and wants to play ac4 and some of the newer games coming out as well like watch dogs etc.  

Right now his pc is quite old, he is on intel socket 775 that only has 2 gigs of memory (ddr2).  I'm not sure which processor it is though but I could ask him.  His gpu is a 9800gtx.

So he wanted to get more ram, a new gpu, and a new 1tb harddrive.  But I thought it would be beneficial to upgrade to a modern motherboard and cpu.  I was thinking this because ddr2 memory is pretty expensive and I think its time to upgrade.  

I was thinking maybe a newer haswell cpu like a 4670 or something along with a decent motherboard.  And for a gpu maybe a 660 or 660ti? maybe a 760?

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think, thanks!

I would upgrade everything. The 750ti is really good for the price. 760 is good too. 

The 4670k is a good choice but you could go with a cheaper one if you're on a budget. Something like the 4570 or 4440.

For the motherboard, anything really goes, depends on the overclocking needs.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

yes i beleive he is only running PCI 2 and DDR2 i know he will get bottle necked so a new MOBO and cpu would help out a lot

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

a new  pc maybe, just scrap the old one

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

maybe like an i5 4430? He doesn't plan on overclocking so i was just going to get him like a 100$ board, any that you guys would recommend? I think the rest of the pc would be okay he has a decent case, 500gb hard drive, a good psu.  Yea the 660 is looking pretty good and that would last him a while I think.

There isn't really a set budget per-se.  He just kinda inquired to me about it.  He was fine with spending the money for a 660 and to upgrade his memory and getting a new hdd.  So I don't think he would be opposed to spending 300 or so for a new cpu/mobo.

There isn't really a set budget per-se.  He just kinda inquired to me about it.  He was fine with spending the money for a 660 and to upgrade his memory and getting a new hdd.  So I don't think he would be opposed to spending 300 or so for a new cpu/mobo.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($42.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($178.60 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $528.53

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 16:04 EDT-0400)

maybe like an i5 4430? He doesn't plan on overclocking so i was just going to get him like a 100$ board, any that you guys would recommend? I think the rest of the pc would be okay he has a decent case, 500gb hard drive, a good psu.  Yea the 660 is looking pretty good and that would last him a while I think.

Any modern i5 is fine. 

What currency? 300 Monopoly dollars?

Thats a pretty good build but he's not really into amd.  

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.
Why? Is it worth sacrificing performance for preference?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any modern i5 is fine. 

What currency? 300 Monopoly dollars?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.
Why? Is it worth sacrificing performance for preference?

300US sorry I forgot to specify.  I mean he has just always used intel and nvidia and that's what he likes i guess. I know i could get the same performance for much less but it's his money not mine so I am just the messenger pretty much.

300US sorry I forgot to specify.  I mean he has just always used intel and nvidia and that's what he likes i guess. I know i could get the same performance for much less but it's his money not mine so I am just the messenger pretty much.

What are the rest of his specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What are the rest of his specs?

I'm unsure of the cpu but I know he is a socket 775 mobo that only supports ddr2 

2 gigs of ram 

9800gtx

1000w psu

500gb hdd

That's pretty much it i think.  

I might try and convince him to go with an amd cpu at least.  I can save him some money that way and put more into a better gpu.  Im thinking maybe an fx 6300 or something along those lines.  He doesn't upgrade his pc very often (obviously) and I want this to last him a while so he can get back to pc gaming.  

I'm unsure of the cpu but I know he is a socket 775 mobo that only supports ddr2 

2 gigs of ram 

9800gtx

1000w psu

500gb hdd

That's pretty much it i think.  

Be more specific about the psu/hdd. Names would help.

Also, what case does he have?

Be more specific about the psu/hdd. Names would help.

Also, what case does he have?

Okay I looked and its a maxtor 500gb hdd

the psu is an ultra x3 1000w

case is the original cooler master cm690

Okay I looked and its a maxtor 500gb hdd

the psu is an ultra x3 1000w

case is the original cooler master cm690

What interface does the hdd use to connect to the motherboard?

What interface does the hdd use to connect to the motherboard?

Sata cable not the old ribbon cable, although his optical drive is connected that way but I have a spare optical drive if he needs one

Sata cable not the old ribbon cable, although his optical drive is connected that way but I have a spare optical drive if he needs one

How's this look? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3duzl

Hey that looks pretty good! The price is very nice as well.  Do you think the athlon will last a couple of years? Or do you think it would be better to get say an fx6300 or something along those lines.  And is the 750ti going to be good for 1080p gaming for a couple of years?

Hey that looks pretty good! The price is very nice as well.  Do you think the athlon will last a couple of years? Or do you think it would be better to get say an fx6300 or something along those lines.  And is the 750ti going to be good for 1080p gaming for a couple of years?

Well AMD is furthering their FM2+ cpu selection in the future so I'd go with that unless you can pony up for a 8320 or i5. 

The 750 Ti should be able to play most current games on high and should last for a good year or two depending on how you like your settings.