AMD Performance Tuning - doesn't work

Sarra

GPU is a Vega 64. I'm on the November Adrenaline drivers. Trying to set a custom fan curve, but... It just reverts to what the default was when I hit 'apply', and saving a profile just saves the 'default' curve.

I can't get it to save the voltage settings, either. It just 'saves' the stock setting, and keeps re-applying it.

Do I need to DDU and reinstall, or what?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

DDU wouldn't hurt, and would probably be a good idea to try to get everything to run right. That being said, AMD's software isn't known for being stable and working right all of the time. Maybe try to adjust the settings with MSI afterburner instead of in AMD's software and see if that works.

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

DDU wouldn't hurt, and would probably be a good idea to try to get everything to run right. That being said, AMD's software isn't known for being stable and working right all of the time. Maybe try to adjust the settings with MSI afterburner instead of in AMD's software and see if that works.

I was having an issue where the default fan curve was the only curve that the card would use, regardless of MSI AB or the built in tuning software.

After a few minutes of angry goggling, I found a thing saying to do a cold reboot, which I tried. MSI AB's fan curve is now functional, though it kinda breaks the tuning software in the driver, but that's fine with me. My overall GPU temp has come down from 85c under load to 75c under load, but my hotspot temp is still over 95c, but only in certain games. =\

4 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I was having an issue where the default fan curve was the only curve that the card would use, regardless of MSI AB or the built in tuning software.

After a few minutes of angry goggling, I found a thing saying to do a cold reboot, which I tried. MSI AB's fan curve is now functional, though it kinda breaks the tuning software in the driver, but that's fine with me. My overall GPU temp has come down from 85c under load to 75c under load, but my hotspot temp is still over 95c, but only in certain games. =\

Hot spots are normal. If you are worried about it, you might need to repaste the card (it is a 3ish year old card at this point anyway, and that's usually the lifespan I've seen of thermal paste).

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Hot spots are normal. If you are worried about it, you might need to repaste the card (it is a 3ish year old card at this point anyway, and that's usually the lifespan I've seen of thermal paste).

I have some Ceramique sitting here just in case.

Not sure how hard the blower is to remove, I'll watch a disassembly vid to see how difficult this cooler is to remove (the cooler on my GTX 980 is a total b**** to remove).

7 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I have some Ceramique sitting here just in case.

Not sure how hard the blower is to remove, I'll watch a disassembly vid to see how difficult this cooler is to remove (the cooler on my GTX 980 is a total b**** to remove).

Those stock blower coolers are usually really easy to remove. Most of my GPUs have been EVGA SC cards, so basically reference cards with new coolers, and while they have a bunch of screws, they're pretty darn easy to remove. I haven't had much experience with those VEGA cards, but IIRC watching a Jay video on water cooling that card, it's not that bad to remove the cooler

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Those stock blower coolers are usually really easy to remove. Most of my GPUs have been EVGA SC cards, so basically reference cards with new coolers, and while they have a bunch of screws, they're pretty darn easy to remove. I haven't had much experience with those VEGA cards, but IIRC watching a Jay video on water cooling that card, it's not that bad to remove the cooler

If I had to keep using this card for more than the next few months as a primary card, I would probably WC it lol

I think I've got the right bits for my screwdriver for it, so I will queue this up as a weekend project. 😄

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

If I had to keep using this card for more than the next few months as a primary card, I would probably WC it lol

I think I've got the right bits for my screwdriver for it, so I will queue this up as a weekend project. 😄

Sounds good. It should take about an hour or two to do, so not that bad. Just don't be like me and accidentally send one of the spring screws flying and have to spend the next 4 hours searching through thick carpet to find it (not my best string of decisions)

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Sounds good. It should take about an hour or two to do, so not that bad. Just don't be like me and accidentally send one of the spring screws flying and have to spend the next 4 hours searching through thick carpet to find it (not my best string of decisions)

Probably going to have to spend 4 hours to get it out of the slot. My CPU cooler is blocking access to the locking tab... XD

I do my work on a table over a hardwood floor. 😄

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

Probably going to have to spend 4 hours to get it out of the slot. My CPU cooler is blocking access to the locking tab... XD

I do my work on a table over a hardwood floor. 😄

Lol, good luck with that. A chop stick or a fresh pencil usually make pretty good tools for pressing that button if you don't want to have to go about taking off your CPU cooler. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to swap out my 120mm AIO for a Noctua NH-D14 I got for cheap, sure the cooling will be better, but I want to be able to take out my GPU every once in a while.

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Lol, good luck with that. A chop stick or a fresh pencil usually make pretty good tools for pressing that button if you don't want to have to go about taking off your CPU cooler. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to swap out my 120mm AIO for a Noctua NH-D14 I got for cheap, sure the cooling will be better, but I want to be able to take out my GPU every once in a while.

If the Vega card has a backplate, it's not too hard. I used a plastic eraser thing (the one that has a 5" eraser in a plastic tube) to get the GTX 980 out when I got the Vega card.

I might be taking the CPU cooler out anyway. I decided to get a 32GB kit of Crucial Ballistics RAM to replace the kit I've got, since the timings are total ass on this kit. I'll just store the stuff I've got until I build my editing rig.