Corroded connection.

Shadow_Storm56

Just out of plain curiosity in a standard ethernet connection to a POE camera what wire would be disconnected for the camera to still power up, still appear on the network as a listed device but not be able to be connected to? I can see corrosion in the connection and one of the little contacts was stuck down which tells me it's probably broken, it did pop back up but it shouldn't pop down. It's just interesting that it is a listed device but cannot be connected to.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Just out of plain curiosity in a standard ethernet connection to a POE camera what wire would be disconnected for the camera to still power up, still appear on the network as a listed device but not be able to be connected to? I can see corrosion in the connection and one of the little contacts was stuck down which tells me it's probably broken, it did pop back up but it shouldn't pop down. It's just interesting that it is a listed device but cannot be connected to.

This may be of some use to you

https://kintronics.com/how-power-over-ethernet-works/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I understand generally how POE works, I have lots of POE cameras and I have seen this happen before once or twice. It's like it can receive data but the pairs for sending data are not connected.

It's probably not that given the obvious issues with the connector.

However do ocasionally have cameras where they have something like bricked or corrupt firmware or a severe fault but the network IC still actually works and has retained an IP address and works at the lower network layers. You can ping them, obviously, scan tools will find them. The lights are on but nobodies home.

If there's issues with the actual data pairs that should normally just not work... 

13 minutes ago, artuc said:

However do ocasionally have cameras where they have something like bricked or corrupt firmware or a severe fault but the network IC still actually works and has retained an IP address and works at the lower network layers. You can ping them, obviously, scan tools will find them. The lights are on but nobodies home.

If there's issues with the actual data pairs that should normally just not work... 

I have also had it happen before that a bad connection messed up the camera and it needed to be reset and re setup in order to function again. This one has an elusive reset button but I have time to find that while I wait for a new connector. 

3 hours ago, artuc said:

To add to this, the reset button may have been on the cable, the original end went bad and the reset button may have been on that. So it's a trendnet camera, no visible reset button on the physical camera, is there a wire pair that being crossed would signal a reset?

On 21/01/2021 at 11:42 PM, artuc said:

Mind-blowing but it was a corroded connection bad enough to stop much data transfer but still there enough to allow it to be detected.