Problem with ethernet connection

mosyy

For about 6 months now I've been on a 1Gb/s plan from my ISP, but the highest speed I could achieve on various speed tests was around 250Mb/s. I thought that maybe it was the ISP that didn't provide the speed we've been paying for, but since it's my dad who pays and takes care of everything, I didn't look further into it. 

Two weeks ago however, my dad bought himself a decent laptop and he has around 500Mb/s download while on Wi-Fi. This made me curious if perhaps my ethernet cable / the onboard adapter was the issue the whole time. It turned out that when connected to the same cable as my PC, the laptop had around 900Mb/s download speed. The first thing that came to my mind was buying a PCI-E ethernet adapter, and it arrived today. Unfortunately, after installing the drivers, it turns out that it didn't help at all - the internet speeds are more or less the same.

I don't really know what to do and what the issue is anymore. I tried disabling the onboard ethernet adapter in BIOS but as you can imagine it didn't help either. I attached a screenshot of a speed test from my PC and a photo of it from the laptop. 

ufwan.png

sad.png

My guess is your laptop's ethernet adapter is not gigabit and limited to 100 Mbps. The manual or specs should tell you this.

Nvm, didn't see you said a different cable gave you 900 Mbps. Maybe just a (slightly) broken cable then that cannot operate at full speed or a pre-cat5 cable.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

My guess is your laptop's ethernet adapter is not gigabit and limited to 100 Mbps. The manual or specs should tell you this.

It's not, it should theoretically support up to 1000Mbps conenctions, at least that's what it says on the box and that's why I bought it - it's a TP-Link TG-3468. Also the slower internet connection occurs on my PC not the laptop.

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Nvm, didn't see you said a different cable gave you 900 Mbps. Maybe just a (slightly) broken cable then that cannot operate at full speed or a pre-cat5 cable.

I probably should've written it a bit differently, but I connected the laptop with the same cable as my PC and the internet is slower on my PC

4 minutes ago, mosyy said:

I probably should've written it a bit differently, but I connected the laptop with the same cable as my PC and the internet is slower on my PC

does your dad have you on a bandwith cap? for example, I have xfinity and I can control the amount of bandwith per device, and their priority. What router do you have, and what ISP?

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

does your dad have you on a bandwith cap? for example, I have xfinity and I can control the amount of bandwith per device, and their priority. What router do you have, and what ISP?

I'm pretty sure the ISP only exists in Poland, it's called UPC and the router was supplied by them, it's called Connect Box. i just checked the router settings and it says that my PC is running on 1000Mbps, which clearly isn't the case on my end.

23 minutes ago, mosyy said:

For about 6 months now I've been on a 1Gb/s plan from my ISP, but the highest speed I could achieve on various speed tests was around 250Mb/s. I thought that maybe it was the ISP that didn't provide the speed we've been paying for, but since it's my dad who pays and takes care of everything, I didn't look further into it. 

Two weeks ago however, my dad bought himself a decent laptop and he has around 500Mb/s download while on Wi-Fi. This made me curious if perhaps my ethernet cable / the onboard adapter was the issue the whole time. It turned out that when connected to the same cable as my PC, the laptop had around 900Mb/s download speed. The first thing that came to my mind was buying a PCI-E ethernet adapter, and it arrived today. Unfortunately, after installing the drivers, it turns out that it didn't help at all - the internet speeds are more or less the same.

I don't really know what to do and what the issue is anymore. I tried disabling the onboard ethernet adapter in BIOS but as you can imagine it didn't help either. I attached a screenshot of a speed test from my PC and a photo of it from the laptop. 

ufwan.png

sad.png

Change the mac address of you adapter if it works better you have a bandwidth cap on your router

15 minutes ago, mosyy said:

Ah ok, well does your PC have a gigabit ethernet port and is the connection gigabit (in Windows you can check the network centre for this)?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Ah ok, well does your PC have a gigabit ethernet port and is the connection gigabit (in Windows you can check the network centre for this)?

Yep, it has a gigabit ethernet port and in Windows it says that the connection is 1Gbps  

image.png

1 minute ago, mosyy said:

Yep, it has a gigabit ethernet port and in Windows it says that the connection is 1Gbps  

image.png

I suspect some setting on the router side then.

18 hours ago, mosyy said:

ufwan.png

sad.png

Boot from a Live Linux USB and see if the problem still exists