Is a SATA to Molex Adaptor safe to use?

ph4k
So I'm well aware that Molex to SATA cables are dangerous as explained by articles like this one.

However, what about SATA (female) to Molex (male) adaptors? Are they safe to use?

My old NZXT H440 PC case comes with a hub that requires a molex connection (image: https://imgur.com/zrln8FZ); however, I can't afford to dedicate an entire port in my modular PSU (Corsair CX550M) to a Molex cable since I need that port for another SATA cable.

So I was thinking of buying a SATA (female) to Molex (male) adaptor to power the hub (something like this: https://tinyl.io/3MHD). Is it safe to do?

adapters are basically use at your own risk. I have an older PSU (non-modular) in my current rig so I had to get a sata to pcie converter to run the 1070 that's in it. It's functional, but.... I always worry. Main thing is checking the connectors and making sure they're solidly on there as a lot of times they're cheaply made so the connections may need to be re-crimped back onto the wires. To me it's fine, but like said, use at your own risk.

2 hours ago, ph4k said:
So I'm well aware that Molex to SATA cables are dangerous as explained by articles like this one.

However, what about SATA (female) to Molex (male) adaptors? Are they safe to use?

My old NZXT H440 PC case comes with a hub that requires a molex connection (image: https://imgur.com/zrln8FZ); however, I can't afford to dedicate an entire port in my modular PSU (Corsair CX550M) to a Molex cable since I need that port for another SATA cable.

So I was thinking of buying a SATA (female) to Molex (male) adaptor to power the hub (something like this: https://tinyl.io/3MHD). Is it safe to do?

Technically they should be safe as long as it's a well made adapter/harness. I mean, Molex was the power connector of choice for drives before SATA so you're not asking much more from it. But as Twolf said, it could also be a source of exciting fires. I had one of those Molex to P4 adapters back in the day and it well.. it caught fire even when the system was unplugged. Granted, the P4 CPU power would've pulled much more power than a standard drive. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, amckern said:

Why not get a 4pin molex splitter? Unless your PSU only has SATA plugs?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-pin-power-splitter-cable-for-pcs/p/PL0750

I believe most PSUs and especially modular ones don't even bother with Molex anymore. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

No my friend killed his SSD with a Molex to SATA adapter.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

1 hour ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

No my friend killed his SSD with a Molex to SATA adapter.

Ahh what a shame about your friend's SSD 😞 

Just to be clear, I'm asking about SATA (female) to Molex (male) adaptors in this instance though.

Thanks for the advice everyone 🙂 appreciate it! Given everyone has stressed quality, I'm probably going to get a well-reviewed one from a reputable marketplace (instead of the cheap one I initially found... hahah). Thanks again!