Mac Pro 3,1 won't install OS X

KingTdiGGiTTy
Go to solution Solved by KingTdiGGiTTy,
1 hour ago, ProjectBox153 said:

You need to change the date using Terminal in order to install El Capitan.

You were really close. 

I had to use the date -u command to set it to current UTC time.

I bought a 3, 1 Mac Pro today. I wiped the drive and went to reinstall OSX El Capitan but I got an error when it did its validating with Apple thing. 

I tried making a bootable USB using TransMac, but the drive didn't show as bootable when I turned on the system. A FreeNAS installer was recognized and I was able to boot from it. A windows installer was recognized but the boot failed.

All show up in the Disk Utility tool in OS X Utility, but I can't really do anything but wipe them from there. I have a friend that is trying to make me an installer from his iMac, but I'm worried that it won't work.

I also tried putting OSX 10.6 on a CD to install, but it also wasn't bootable.

I really need some help, I'm at my wits end and I've been at it for 6 hours.

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I bought a 3, 1 Mac Pro today. I wiped the drive and went to reinstall OSX El Capitan but I got an error when it did its validating with Apple thing. 

I tried making a bootable USB using TransMac, but the drive didn't show as bootable when I turned on the system. A FreeNAS installer was recognized and I was able to boot from it. A windows installer was recognized but the boot failed.

All show up in the Disk Utility tool in OS X Utility, but I can't really do anything but wipe them from there. I have a friend that is trying to make me an installer from his iMac, but I'm worried that it won't work.

I also tried putting OSX 10.6 on a CD to install, but it also wasn't bootable.

I really need some help, I'm at my wits end and I've been at it for 6 hours.

Well, I had this problem with a Power Mac G4 where it would just give the "prohibited" sign.

Disconnect the optical drive.

elephants

12 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Disconnect the optical drive.

Just tried this it didn't change anything.

I still get an error saying, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." after the warning saying that my machines eligibility will be checked with Apple.

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Just tried this it didn't change anything.

I still get an error saying, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." after the warning saying that my machines eligibility will be checked with Apple.

Try every version of OS X that this machine supports or grab the HDD and ask your friend to install an older version of OS X on it from his iMac.

elephants

You likely need a firmware upgrade, and you can't use transmac to setup a usb, it just doesn't work, I don't know why. I recommend taking it to London drugs too install the apple firmware update and os.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

You likely need a firmware upgrade, and you can't use transmac to setup a usb, it just doesn't work, I don't know why. I recommend taking it to London drugs too install the apple firmware update and os.

Well, I'm in the U.S. the nearest London Drug would be quite out of the way. 

As for the firmware upgrade, it had to have been running OSX 10.11 before because the recovery utility tries to reinstall the OS that was last installed.

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Well, I'm in the U.S. the nearest London Drug would be quite out of the way. 

As for the firmware upgrade, it had to have been running OSX 10.11 before because the recovery utility tries to reinstall the OS that was last installed.

It's worth a shot - and for all we know it ran an older version of El Capitan and the newer one requires a firmware update.

elephants

You need to change the date using Terminal in order to install El Capitan. That's a known issue caused by expired security certificates Try changing the date using this command:

date 0101010116

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

16 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

You need to change the date using Terminal in order to install El Capitan. That's a known issue caused by expired security certificates Try changing the date using this command:

date 0101010116

I tried this with and without WIFI enabled while using a cable connection, and with and without the optical drive installed.

Nothing changed the outcome.

The Error i get is

2016-01-01 01:04:18.752 InstallAssistant[464:14800] NSURLSession/NSURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9815)
Error!! Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=- "UNTRUSTER_CERT_TITLE" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=UNSTRUSTED_CERT_TITLE, NSLocalizedFailureReason=UNTRUSTED_CERT_BODY]

Is there any way you can get access to a Mac to make the bootable installer? Maybe use a macOS VM and pass-through a USB drive?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

58 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Maybe use a macOS VM

I've had a lot of trouble with guides for setting up a MacOS VM in windows.

Can someone point me to one that is reliable.

1 hour ago, ProjectBox153 said:

You need to change the date using Terminal in order to install El Capitan.

You were really close. 

I had to use the date -u command to set it to current UTC time.