Hi there.

So I work for a software development company, yes we do have those in South Africa :D. Now, in this company I do a lot off on site calls. Everything ranging from 2km away from the office, to having to fly over 1000km to go see and troubleshoot clients problems. Now I've been struggling to get the perfect setup for my IT grab bag. The main pain I have currently is the amount of cables I have to carry around, and trying to manage said cables. I've used some Velcro cable ties, for now, but everything still looks too cluttered for my liking. Yes I could just take a few cables out that "you would rarely use" but I know that I won't be very happy when the day comes that I'll need that specific cable and not have it. So I'm putting out to you guys, what are your daily IT grab bags? Any tips and tricks you could suggest, even add some pictures if you'd like. I reckon it'll be very interesting to see everybody's setups. I'll list everything I have in the bag down below, and you tell me what you think, 

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Laptop Bag:                  Everki Glide Backpack

Laptop:                          Dell Latitude E5540

Phone:                          Samsung Note 20

Earphones:                   Samsung Galaxy Earbuds Plus

Keyboard and Mouse:  Microsoft 900 wireless (Samsung DeX)

Dell laptop power brick and cable

2x USB type C to USB

1x USB type C to USB type C

1x USB type C to USB cable (don't really know what to call it)

1x USB  to Micro B

2x USB to Micro USB

1x USB Wall Plug

1x USB type C Wall Plug

1x Multi wall adapter

1x 64GB SanDisk Cruzer (Running Linux live)

1x 32GB Sandisk Cruzer (Running Windows 10 live)

1x USB type C to HDMI, USB 3 and USB type C (Samsung DeX)

1x 3m HDMI cable (getting a shorter one)

1x 1m HDMI to mini HDMI

2x A4 Notebooks (with 2 pens)

1x pair of prescription glasses (because I'm blind as a bat :D)

Spoiler

MSI X299 Tomahawk AC, Intel core i5 7640X, MSI R9 280X, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, 16GB Team Dark Pro 3200, RaidMax Cobra 1000W, Adata 240GB SSD, OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD, 2xSeagate 1TB HDD, 1xSeagate 2TB HDD

Get yourself one or two of these:

image.png.7312cc4c9e298cd38e92b6514abb36ff.png

great for stowing away basically anything up to the size of a USB A cable or USB thumb drive. Keep them neat, out of the way, but still within reach.

I'm pretty sure every cable your listed would fit in one or two of these, maybe except the HDMI stuff and power bricks.

I don't think there really is a lot you could remove from your setup, without missing out on something.

Linus has made a video in the past on his and Luke's (formerly known as Slick) backpack:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Honestly other than getting a small storage container for it not much can be done