Need recommendation for 3D printer

shinegull

I've actually asked about something similar previously, but life has changed a lot over the last year or so.

I'm looking for a 3D printer thats simple to use, with (hopefully, but not necessarily) minimal setup out of box.

I'd probably also need some help in what programs or tools, etc. that I may need to start printing.

I'm not too sure what a good budget for a printer is like, but maybe 1k-2k CAD woud be my budget? is that a lot or too little? budget is not set in stone, so i probably could go a bit higher if need be, but use case would just be casual printing. for now, I would probably be printing a couple small things, like pc case parts or lock mounts, mostly small items no bigger than 2 hands combined.

Im based in Canada, so that may limit on what I can actually get my hands on as well at the moment.

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

1-2k CAD is a lot for a home/hobby 3d-printer. For example a assembled Prusa i3 would fit the budget.

200 CAD is probably the entry level but some tinkering/upgrades might be needed.

Programs/Slicer:

free to use:

Cura

PrusaSlicer

paid:

Simplify3D (not worth it for home use)

so way too high of a budget then, thats good news then.

If possible, id like to avoid as much tinkering as possible, since judging from my past history with projects, I don't actually spend all that much time working on this stuff, so if at all possible, would like something that is more of a plug and play.

6 minutes ago, James Evens said:

The assembled Prusa i3 is basically plug and play. Remove some zip ties, follow the initial setup guide and good to go.

One thing with Chinese printer is a lot of the time they just work but some units might need some repair/adjustment to work. A well known one would be a Creality Ender 3 v2 which doesn't have auto bed levelling (can be added/upgrade).

Much cheaper (at least in Germany) would be a Tronxy XY-2 pro. Picked it up used so potential issues are/where already fixed but should fit your requirements.

A Anycubic mega s/i3 might also be a option.

When I'm doing a search for these printers, I've noticed some other options that seem to have a case/enclosure around it, is there a difference for those?

20 minutes ago, James Evens said:

The flashforge and  xzyprinting ones? Not worth it in my opinion. Too many proprietary things making them difficult to troubleshoot and maintain.

alright. I'll try out that tronxy printer, mostly cuz its about $150 less than the others. should arrive in a couple days, hopefully it goes well.

20 hours ago, James Evens said:

Grab four of those from your office supplies (large paperclips):

image.thumb.png.6ccfdd26f739c2f82af4b65bd591a02b.png

Also check the voltage selector switch on the PSU.

sorry, i am very confused right now. could you elaborate?

39 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

I would get an assembled prusa for ~1-2k, if you want peak performance out of the box printing, get a Daedalus - but the price is a big high. 

i'll keep that in mind, but this would be my first attempt at 3d printing, so id thought, if possible go cheaper and try it out first in case i mess up anything.