Video Card Problems - card keeps hiccuping

why.PNG.01fc0ad2f138250f9996660fab538717.PNG

I having an issue where the clock speed drops every few seconds.  I thought it could be heat related but then I went into afterburner and cranked the fan.  The temp went down to 52, but there isn't any difference in the timing of the "hiccup".  

Has anyone ever experienced this?   

I thought maybe its not getting enough juice when its trying to boost.  Changed power supply from a Corsair RM750i to a brand new RM850i I have sitting around.  Still the same.  I'm running two separate 8 pin cables from the PSU to the 980ti. 

It was working fine,  not sure what could have happened.  Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.   

The first thing that comes to mind is possibly gpu usage not being high enough. My gpu sits almost at idle clocks when playing Factorio (a simple game) maybe its something like that? Please tell us what games you're playing along with possibly other pc specs.

i have cyberpunk2077 running in the background right now.  It happens to all games and benchmarks

Framerates will be ok for 3-4 seconds, then drop down to 10-15.  Then go back to ok.  Then drop again