Graphics card upgrade VRAM vs DLSS

UhreForFan

Hello! I read some on the forums but haven´t been able to find some conclusive discussion about this.

I just upgraded to a 4K screen and found DLSS 2.0 invaluable to get a good gaming experience on Cyberpunk. However my RTX2070 isn't good enough for my standards and I was thinking about an upgrade.

I can pick between RTX 3080 or the RX 6800 XT (this being 10$ more expensive). The RTX3080 seems to be a little bit faster in most titles.  

- Have any of you used RIS? is it good, would you recommend it?

- I leaning on the AMD card because it has more VRAM, how much do you guys expect the RTX3080 to be bottlenecked in the future?

-  AMDs cards also seems to get better with time.

- Will I even need DLSS/sharpening with this kind of GPU?

What are your thoughts?

Well, AMD doesn't have a DLSS alternative. NVidia Control Panel Contrast-adaptive sharpening is identical to RIS, so you can try it out and see for yourself.

The NVidia cards are better performers when it comes to RT. Also, DLSS 2.1 is easily the best iteration of the technology. Its 'super performance' mode in supported games has a native resolution of 1/9th, and provided it's high enough, upscales incredibly well.

There's a video by 2kliksphilip where at one point he has Death Stranding running at 720p internally and is upscaled to 4k. He says you can tell the difference if you screenshot and nitpick, but it's close enough not to notice during gameplay. 

Something you can do is try to use DLSS and Sharpening in conjuction. I don't believe NVidia has introduced adjustable sharpening for DLSS yet, but you can turn it up through NVidia control panel and see how that works.

I actually do fine at 4k on my GTX 1060 - I use 70% or 80% resolution scaling, medium textures, and use NVidia sharpening at the default settings. Microsoft Flight Simulator runs fine and looks pretty close to native 4k. Same story with Battlefront 2, Fallen Order, modded Skyrim... Just a support anecdote for NVidia Sharpening

both can have their issues around VRAM as VRAM is not the only thing to be worried about.

as for 4K I'm unsure what could be needed, if the 3080ti comes at a great price it would be more worth it.

Also how nvidia and amd is using the VRAM a bit differently too. But else if you have games with the nvidia features, then 3080 would be more focused on.

If not, then amd's cards can be a good fps value, if you can find any of these cards for a good value.

Yeah I don't plan och upgrading now, just wanted to know what other people think.

If there will come out a RTX3080Ti with more VRAM for a good price then that´s probably what I will go for. But pricing in Sweden is fucked even when the rest of the world isn't. 

So you people dont think the 10GB of VRAM on Nvidia will be a bottle neck in the future? 

15 minutes ago, UhreForFan said:

So you people dont think the 10GB of VRAM on Nvidia will be a bottle neck in the future?

it won't at certain resolutions, at 4K to 8K this will or could be different?

At 1080p this will hold for quite a while, if not the game industry changes it's usage or methods for games.

Should work for most people, but if they did include 2-4 GB more instead of the faster speed, or if the speed helped them out.