Need help with networking

Fenrir8080

Background information:

I have razer sila router and an optical network router(ONR) Huawei Echolife HG8244 provided by my ISP.

My Internet plan with my ISP is a 1+1Gbps plan whereby I have 1Gbps dedicated to my cable tv and normal Internet use and a separate 1Gbps bandwidth just for gaming.

All this while, my razer sila has been connected to port #1 of the ONR and have been acting as an Access point rather than a router. I did not know of this. Upon checking with my ISP, they told me that actually the Razer Sila should have been connected to port #4 of the ONR and function as a router rather than an access point for me to benefit from it.

So I found out the issue is simply not one of plug and play. I have connected the Sila to port #4 of the ONR. But it cannot access the Internet. I have done some research on the Internet and have disabled bridge mode of the Razer sila router because I want it to act as a router rather than an access point. But this alone does not solve the issue.

Now my question and where I need help with is this:

How do I configure the razer sila to function as a router? I understand that essentially, the razer sila is supposed to be the one giving out the IP addresses. But what do I key in the settings of the router? Do I have to fill up the Wan IP information or the Ipv6 information myself?

I understand that some of this info is ISP specific. Therefore if some of these information cannot be found out by myself and I have to call up my ISP to ask them, I would appreciate if someone could guide me on what exactly must I ask the ISP?  I am unsure as to what are the information I must have and input into the Razer Sila for it to function as a router, after it being functioning as an access point for about 2 years.

Thank you in advance to all the fellow LTT community people who approach to help me with this issue!

DOes your ISP tell you what IP to set it to when using port 4?

Does it get a ip when plugged into port 4?

Im assuming wan on the razer router is set to dhcp correct?

It probalby won't matter switching modes on the razer router. The qos features don't normally matter on a gig connections.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

DOes your ISP tell you what IP to set it to when using port 4?

Does it get a ip when plugged into port 4?

Im assuming wan on the razer router is set to dhcp correct?

It probalby won't matter switching modes on the razer router. The qos features don't normally matter on a gig connections.

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

My ISP simply told me to call razer to get help from them on how to change the sila from an AP to a router. They did not provide any further information. But since i found out that the issue is more complicated as it requires me to key in some information, I have been pushing my ISP to provide me with some more information. But on my end, i do not exactly know what information is required for me to key into the router. So i would like to prepare myself on what are the things i should get from them when they eventually get back to me.

May I know how do i check if  it is getting an ip?

Whenever I turn on "bridge mode" these 3 sections pop out:

"IP Address"  "IP Subnet Mask" "IP Address Range"
All three are automatically populated. And they seem to be the same details regardless of whether the sila is connected to port #4 or other ports (acting as an AP i suppose).

I have attached the picture of what the settings look like. On the left hand side, those greened out sections are "unlocked' once i set bridge mode off and hit apply.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 12.57.38 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Fenrir8080 said:

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

My ISP simply told me to call razer to get help from them on how to change the sila from an AP to a router. They did not provide any further information. But since i found out that the issue is more complicated as it requires me to key in some information, I have been pushing my ISP to provide me with some more information. But on my end, i do not exactly know what information is required for me to key into the router. So i would like to prepare myself on what are the things i should get from them when they eventually get back to me.

May I know how do i check if  it is getting an ip?

Whenever I turn on "bridge mode" these 3 sections pop out:

"IP Address"  "IP Subnet Mask" "IP Address Range"
All three are automatically populated. And they seem to be the same details regardless of whether the sila is connected to port #4 or other ports (acting as an AP i suppose).

I have attached the picture of what the settings look like. On the left hand side, those greened out sections are "unlocked' once i set bridge mode off and hit apply.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 12.57.38 PM.png

That looks like your lan ip range. NO need to hide it, it can't be used to identify you, its probably 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Look under wan settings, how is it getting its wan ip?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That looks like your lan ip range. NO need to hide it, it can't be used to identify you, its probably 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Look under wan settings, how is it getting its wan ip?

Ah I see. Didn't know that.

The wan settings looks like this. I have set bridge mode off and applied it to access the Wan IP.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 1.11.08 PM.png

1 minute ago, Fenrir8080 said:

he wan settings looks like this. I have set bridge mode off and applied it to access the Wan IP.

Get dynaminc IP address seems like DHCP, turn that on, and plug it in and it should grab a IP.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get dynaminc IP address seems like DHCP, turn that on, and plug it in and it should grab a IP.

It looks the same after i have turned it on and hit apply.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 1.18.50 PM.png

However, when i plug it out and connect it to port #1 of the ONR, the IP address and net mask fields are populated. Gateway remains the same. I don't know if the problem is solved now ? cos whenever i hook sila to port #4, the snake light appears red. But when i switched it to port #1, it appears green, signifying that its connected to the net. But, how do i check if its acting as a router rather than an AP like before?

39 minutes ago, Fenrir8080 said:

However, when i plug it out and connect it to port #1 of the ONR, the IP address and net mask fields are populated. Gateway remains the same. I don't know if the problem is solved now ? cos whenever i hook sila to port #4, the snake light appears red. But when i switched it to port #1, it appears green, signifying that its connected to the net. But, how do i check if its acting as a router rather than an AP like before?

when plugged into port 1, is it a seperate subnet than if you connected to the modme directly?

If it is, then you can setup dmz mode to the razer modem.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

when plugged into port 1, is it a seperate subnet than if you connected to the modme directly?

If it is, then you can setup dmz mode to the razer modem.

How do I check if its a seperate subnet?

Also,i fail to mention that I do not have a separate modem. The ONR is also a modem in itself,provoded by my ISP.

35 minutes ago, Fenrir8080 said:

How do I check if its a seperate subnet?

Also,i fail to mention that I do not have a separate modem. The ONR is also a modem in itself,provoded by my ISP.

Is the subnet different? So does the wan side have a different subnet number? So like 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.0.1 on the lan side?

Do you see devices plugged into the isp gateway from a device that is plugged into the razer router?

When Sila is connected to port#1 of ONR:

the lan  and wan subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

I am unable to see other devices plugged into the ONR when my laptop is hooked up to sila via ethernet port.

When Sila is connected to port #4 of ONR:

Lan subnet mask :255.255.255.0

Wan subnet mask: 255.255.224.0

Similarly unable to see other devices connected to the ONR