[Memtest86] Max Contiguous Errors: 1

tridy

Hi.

I have received a replacement for the Corsair RAM sticks that died before the holidays and now I am trying to run the memory test.

I get 1 error and I am not sure if this could be ignored or not, since the test is saying Pass 100%.

memtest_error_1.thumb.jpg.6324eb6f224ddca0d4cec684a1f1b156.jpg

What is this error?

Thanks!

Anomalous errors can happen from time to time. I'd run the test several more times, if it continues to reproduce even somewhat reliably, back to Corsair it goes.

I subscribe to the "one error is too many" theory, but I also test multiple times. Others will tell you that one will be okay.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Also test it in another slot 

Also test it at a bit lower frequency - 3200 Mhz instead of 3600 Mhz for example

If that problem keeps showing up, I'd return it.

Second and third runs:

Pass complete, no errors

should I be happy? :)

memtest_run_2.jpg.eebd487de6453b4bccfbaa8323bdf1cc.jpg

ok, not so fast. it has been running for 4 hours now and the error came back at some point:

memtest_run_4hr.jpg.f0da24c8321f2bb337be1ff5e00a6bb9.jpg

this is a 2x8GB module kit and I have only 2 slots on the motherboard. I will try to switch module's places and run it again.

Something was tricky and using different slots for modules produces different results. So, I have 2 slots and 2 sticks and tested 4 combinations and it looks like it is one of the slots that produces errors. The question is if it is worth using just 1 slot or if I should change the motherboard. It does not look like a can with compressed air will solve the problem this time.

[edit: after more testing, the other slot showed the error as well]

Slot 1 Slot 2
Stick 1 OK Error
Stick 2 OK Error
Edited by tridy
changed after more testing

Ok , get a flashlight or something and visually check the slot, make sure all the contacts are at the same level, that one of them isn't dirty or bent too much.

Regular copier paper is abrasive enough that it can clean contacts inside the slot, in case they're dirty/oxidized.

Basically, cut a strip of paper, about the width of a credit card, fold it 2-3 times to get it the right thickness (about as thick as the circuit board of a ram stick) and insert it into the slot, then slide it left and right a few times - you want the paper to rub against the contacts in the slot.

If that doesn't solve things, pretty much tough luck, you'd either go to a service and replace the slot or replace the motherboard.

With Intel processors you may have another possibility, one bad pin in the socket (bent contact, cause cpu has pads)... AMD processors are PGA, pin grid array, they have pins instead of pads, so it's way less likely to happen (a super dirty pin could cause problems but it's really unlikely)

Thanks. I will try that. It is a Mini-ITX board , and it is a bit tight in the case, so I will need to take it apart pretty much. Will post back the results.

I took the systems out of the case, cleaned up RAM slot with compressed air and folded copier paper. I did multiple tests and at this point it was really different. There was previously good slot that produced an error and vise versa, almost unpredictable, almost like it was a misbehaving capacitor or something.

At this point I think I will go for the motherboard replacement and hope it is not the CPU.

I will be back after the tests with the new motherboard.

Got the new motherboard today, running the tests and it still produces the errors 😨

new_mb_errors.thumb.jpeg.6b4379c39c376a9cb5ffa2a1c95e30d5.jpeg

Could it be a faulty power supply, by the way?

2 minutes ago, tridy said:

Got the new motherboard today, running the tests and it still produces the errors 😨

new_mb_errors.thumb.jpeg.6b4379c39c376a9cb5ffa2a1c95e30d5.jpeg

Could it be a faulty power supply, by the way?

No, but it can be the cpu ... maybe a pin broken or dirty, or (extremely unlikely) a memory controller error.  On a 2 slot motherboard, each slot is a separate memory channel.

I'd suggest changing the cpu with anything else that works on that motherboard and running the test again.

It's a bit weird that in first picture you got error in the first 2 GB and now 2nd picture is at 15 GB but I'm not sure how the memory controller arranges the data in the tiny chips -  if byte 1 is in first stick first tiny ram chip and 8 GB and 1 byte should be on 2nd ram stick first tiny ram chip, then if you initially had an error at 1094MB and you swapped ram sticks then error should show up at 8 GB + 1094 MB. But I don't think it's quite like that.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd suggest changing the cpu with anything else that works on that motherboard and running the test again.

that is going to be a bit of a problem, since that is the only CPU I have. I bought it 6 months ago and I will try to contact the seller and see if they could be of any assistance. Maybe I can borrow a CPU from them or they could do testing at their place.

I will get back with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

At the seller place they were not sure if this was the CPU or RAM but they told that there was some tiny bit of thermal paste on the CPU and therefore if I clean it and bring it back, then they could test it again and then see if this was really the CPU.

A soft toothbrush, Isopropanol spray, some patience, and now it seems to be working. Should have done it in the first place.

mem_after_clean.jpg.5444fe4e5481356f3ffed571372f980d.jpg

I hope the error will not come back.

Thanks for the help!