Too high voltage on i9-10850K?

Hi!

I just have bought a new i9 for my new PC with Gigabyte Vision G Z490 mobo. Yesterday I have run聽Aida64 for a while to check stability of my system. Then I have check voltages on CPU - stable 1.440V on core 馃槙. CPU was running on 4.8GHz (I didn鈥檛 OC, all default settings) with max temp of 80掳C (average during stresstest was ~68掳C) with my PureLoop 360. Should I reset bios or something? All voltage settings are default/auto there.聽
I think聽that voltage is a bit too high for Intel CPUs and I don鈥檛 really聽know what to do about it.聽
(I鈥檒l upload screenshots when I鈥檒l return from work)

Thank you聽in advance for help鉁岋笍

That is way too high of a voltage for 4.8Ghz.聽 I'm at like 1.38V or so to hit 5.1 rock solid for unlimited amounts of OCCT / P95.

It's not a dangerously high voltage just a very pointless high voltage.

Workstation:聽 14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB聽@ 5600聽|| Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox:聽9900nonK聽||聽Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W聽shunt聽|| Corsair SF600聽|| CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock聽|| ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W聽|| LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||聽 whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) +聽3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

19 minutes ago, WQblitz said:

Hi!

I just have bought a new i9 for my new PC with Gigabyte Vision G Z490 mobo. Yesterday I have run聽Aida64 for a while to check stability of my system. Then I have check voltages on CPU - stable 1.440V on core 馃槙. CPU was running on 4.8GHz (I didn鈥檛 OC, all default settings) with max temp of 80掳C (average during stresstest was ~68掳C) with my PureLoop 360. Should I reset bios or something? All voltage settings are default/auto there.聽
I think聽that voltage is a bit too high for Intel CPUs and I don鈥檛 really聽know what to do about it.聽
(I鈥檒l upload screenshots when I鈥檒l return from work)

Thank you聽in advance for help鉁岋笍

It's an i9 on auto, it's normal. Try a negative offset. It can probably still turbo that high.

80掳C sounds fine though.

Seem likely with a single core boost clock of 5.2ghz. Guess it wasn't under all core load? Check what voltage it uses in cinebench for example

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D |聽Motherboard: Gigabyte B550聽Elite V2 |聽RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz |聽PSU:聽EVGA SuperNova聽750 G3 |聽Monitor:聽LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 |聽
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT |聽Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K |聽Case:聽Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage:聽MP510聽960gb and 860 Evo 500gb |聽Cooling:聽CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.聽

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That is way too high of a voltage for 4.8Ghz.聽 I'm at like 1.38V or so to hit 5.1 rock solid for unlimited amounts of OCCT / P95.

It's not a dangerously high voltage just a very pointless high voltage.

I don't even know where this 4.8GHz聽came from. It鈥檚聽a processor straight from the box, I haven't had time to do anything with it yet聽

1 hour ago, Naijin said:

It's an i9 on auto, it's normal. Try a negative offset. It can probably still turbo that high.

80掳C sounds fine though.

Ok, I鈥檒l try that馃憤

The default voltage settings for all Intel CPUs are too high. Intel does this to guarantee long term stability. This was an OK strategy when they were building 4 core CPUs. When building 10 core CPUs on the old 14nm process, this can result in a lot of unnecessary power consumption and heat.聽

A 10850K is a 10900K reject. The reason the 10850K line exists is because Intel wanted to clear out their excess inventory of cores that needed too much voltage to be a 10900K. I would avoid using default voltage on any Intel CPU but I would especially avoid using default voltage on a 10850K.

Here are some聽examples of the huge difference that can be achieved when you take some time to fine tune the voltage to what the CPU actually needs.

9 hours ago, WQblitz said:

CPU was running on 4.8GHz

At default settings, the CPU multiplier varies between 52 and 48 depending on how many cores are active.

image.png.431e8d92416533cdee82742779b2702b.png

Once you get the voltage sorted out, it should be easy to run at 5.0 GHz no matter how many cores are active with far less voltage than the default settings are feeding your CPU now.

Edit - I have heard that some Gigabyte boards are extra generous with the聽CPU voltage that they are using.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:29 AM, Naijin said:

80掳C sounds fine though.

After all, I had some free time to work with my CPU.

I tried to set negative vcore offset to -0,105mV and this is the result:

image.thumb.png.e6d989f636e35b2f632c5c7ec05ea42a.png

I hope that voltages are pretty good for 10850K, should I try to change something more?

Thanks for help guys!

@WQblitz聽Not sure how accurate the CPU-Z voltage reading is on your motherboard. You might be able to use a -150 mV offset and still be stable. What cache ratio are you using? I found that I could reduce the CPU voltage a lot more after I reduced the cache from聽47X to 46X. I think the default for the 10850K is 43X.

If your CPU is running reliably at 5.0 GHz all core at 74掳C, you could just leave it as is. Your CPU is running great without the extra voltage.