Did I do something wrong?

Jared O
Go to solution Solved by barkydoggo,
1 minute ago, Jared O said:

Could it have been my last power surge that fried my psu last time damaging something else, causing this?

I took it to a shop and they said everything works fine, but I don’t know, maybe they’re wrong?

It's honestly unlikely that there's a huge issue, especially if a decent shop checked it out. I used to do that kind of work, I've seen a bunch of weird crap happen that can freak you out, but everything is probably OK. Don't worry too much, we'll figure it out ;)

I’m scared now...I thought I had everything plugged into my new power supply correctly, especially because upon first boot-up I actually did see the startup screen and everything, but then after only like 2 seconds, the screen went black and it doesn’t show at all on any boot-up now. I’m afraid that maybe I hooked up something wrong and fried something, but I plugged in only what was left inside of my computer from before so I don’t even know what’s going on...My first power supply got fried from a power surge and this is my first time ever hooking up one by myself, so I had to have done something wrong, but everything seemed fine until the screen went black. Any ideas as to what could have happened?

6 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I’m scared now...I thought I had everything plugged into my new power supply correctly, especially because upon first boot-up I actually did see the startup screen and everything, but then after only like 2 seconds, the screen went black and it doesn’t show at all on any boot-up now. I’m afraid that maybe I hooked up something wrong and fried something, but I plugged in only what was left inside of my computer from before so I don’t even know what’s going on...My first power supply got fried from a power surge and this is my first time ever hooking up one by myself, so I had to have done something wrong, but everything seemed fine until the screen went black. Any ideas as to what could have happened?

Maybe you missed a connector, also make sure they are all firmly in place.

7 minutes ago, Jared O said:

what applefreak said but can we get pics and specs? it's possible you bought a crappy PSU and it died on you.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Did the system shut off? Or did the display just go blank?

Please post specs when you can :)

10 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

what applefreak said but can we get pics and specs? it's possible you bought a crappy PSU and it died on you.

I bought the Gamemax 1050 watt which got pretty good reviews so that would be surprising if this one died on first boot, and everything is firmly connected. ASRock z390 phantom gaming, EVGA 2080 ti, i9 9900k, 4266 Gskill RAM

What I do notice is that there’s two sockets for a cpu on the back of the power supply, whereas right now I’m only using one because I didn’t see another socket on the motherboard. Is it because I need to use that second cable somewhere?

4 minutes ago, barkydoggo said:

Did the system shut off? Or did the display just go blank?

Please post specs when you can :)

K specs posted, and the screen just went black, no restarts or anything. The system still boots up completely minus the display showing

fans and lights work

I’m really wondering what’s going on here, especially since I did see picture once, and now I don’t at all on any boot-up

Could it have been my last power surge that fried my psu last time damaging something else, causing this?

I took it to a shop and they said everything works fine, but I don’t know, maybe they’re wrong?

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

What I do notice is that there’s two sockets for a cpu on the back of the power supply, whereas right now I’m only using one because I didn’t see another socket on the motherboard. Is it because I need to use that second cable somewhere?

No this is totally normal.

K specs posted, and the screen just went black, no restarts or anything. The system still boots up completely minus the display showing

fans and lights work

I’m really wondering what’s going on here, especially since I did see picture once, and now I don’t at all on any boot-up

Honestly... try another monitor cable. Try changing your monitors input. Try another monitor (hook it up to your TV even). It could be something simple!

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I bought the Gamemax 1050 watt which got pretty good reviews so that would be surprising if this one died on first boot, and everything is firmly connected. ASRock z390 phantom gaming, EVGA 2080 ti, i9 9900k, 4266 Gskill RAM

CPU power requirements vary a lot so there can be "spare" cables for people who need more. Common ones are single 4 pin single 8 pin 8+4 pin and it can go 8+8 but I have not used one like that myself. 

It's honestly unlikely that there's a huge issue, especially if a decent shop checked it out. I used to do that kind of work, I've seen a bunch of weird crap happen that can freak you out, but everything is probably OK. Don't worry too much, we'll figure it out ;)

I feel embarrassed to say that it was as easy as plugging it into the other DisplayPort...but it seems that I’m back

image.jpg

image.jpg

umm, but you didn't use the same cables for your new PSU that you used for your old PSU did you? because it kinda sounds like you did... even if everything works now - long term this isn't recommended at all. 

if you actually used the new cables that came with your new PSU then disregard this lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

umm, but you didn't use the same cables for your new PSU that you used for your old PSU did you? because it kinda sounds like you did... even if everything works now - long term this isn't recommended at all. 

if you actually used the new cables that came with your new PSU then disregard this lol. 

I’m glad you said something because I only replaced the mainboard cables.....I thought I was done monkeying with junk down there lol...

3 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I’m glad you said something because I only replaced the mainboard cables.....I thought I was done monkeying with junk down there lol...

lol... OOF. well yeah, the thing is the wrong cables can actually get fried long term, this is specifically for anything with power, so also stuff like SATA... 

well, you're welcome, and practice makes perfect (it really does lol)  😃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer