Combining 12v rails?

Ralf

With multi rail PSU's like the Straight Power 11, would it be possible to combine 12V gpu rails with 2x8pin to 8-pin cable without issues? So that you could push cards with single 8-pin without triggering OCP.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Should be perfectly safe. Most new power supplies only have a single 12v rail anyhow, and the wires/cables are just a breakout method.

If your PSU's nameplate/label has one single spec for how much current can travel across 12v for your model, it's all good.

23 minutes ago, Ralf said:

With multi rail PSU's like the Straight Power 11, would it be possible to combine 12V gpu rails with 2x8pin to 8-pin cable without issues? So that you could push cards with single 8-pin without triggering OCP.

It's not only "possible", that's how you're supposed to use them. That's the whole point of multi-rail PSUs. Connecting devices using multiple rails, so each individual cable is protected from short circuits while still allowing the device to use large amounts of power.

Don't forget, that you cannot combine current capability of all rails, as there are combine limits as well.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

6 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Should be perfectly safe. Most new power supplies only have a single 12v rail anyhow, and the wires/cables are just a breakout method.

If your PSU's nameplate/label has one single spec for how much current can travel across 12v for your model, it's all good.

This model says that it has 4 rails.

6 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

It's not only "possible", that's how you're supposed to use them. That's the whole point of multi-rail PSUs. Connecting devices using multiple rails, so each individual cable is protected from short circuits while still allowing the device to use large amounts of power.

How are you supposed to use two gpu rails with one 8-pin without a custom cable?

1 hour ago, hojnikb said:

Don't forget, that you cannot combine current capability of all rails, as there are combine limits as well.

YEXtM5k.jpg

Let's say my other components(cpu, mobo, ram, ssd , fan) draw 150W and gpu rail 3 can output 264W. This would downgrade the 650W psu to a 490W(150+264+75), because the Rail 4 would just sit there unused. Now if I could combine them with a cable, I could throw another 150W through the 8-pin.

TLDR: One gpu rail=339W, two gpu rails=603W before we hope that OCP doesnt trigger on the rails or OPP kicks in.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

2 hours ago, Ralf said:

Let's say my other components(cpu, mobo, ram, ssd , fan) draw 150W and gpu rail 3 can output 264W. This would downgrade the 650W psu to a 490W(150+264+75), because the Rail 4 would just sit there unused. Now if I could combine them with a cable, I could throw another 150W through the 8-pin.

TLDR: One gpu rail=339W, two gpu rails=603W before we hope that OCP doesnt trigger on the rails or OPP kicks in.

An 8 pin PCIe connector is 150W per spec, so I don't see why 264W (+ 75W through the motherboard) would be an issue?

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

An 8 pin PCIe connector is 150W per spec, so I don't see why 264W (+ 75W through the motherboard) would be an issue?

Power spikes?

On 1/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, Ralf said:

Power spikes?

I had the same thing in mind while planning the cable layout for my system.

According to spec, 6/8-pin should carry at least 150W. HOWEVER; when you consider the physical/electrical tolerances of common 18-16AWG wire, (and the fact that PCIe 8-pin is basically 6-pin with extra signals for negative but don't provide any additional power) you can actually send up to 250W (more or less) over a 6/8-pin PCIe power cable, in the form of 7A per physical wire pair, (1 positive and 1 negative) at 3 pairs in a 6-pin connector, all from the same solder joint inside the PSU. So if you can take at least 21A from a 12V rail (and I see your 12V4 line has 22A) I believe it will work perfectly.

Also, I was wondering, what GPU model are you looking to power, exactly?