HELP! PSU not working; what do I do now?

Louie Friesen

Hi there,

About 6 months ago my RM850x had an issue where it would not turn on and power my computer. I had to wait 3 days for it to function normally again.

Then yesterday, I had the same problem, but this time, I just had to do this 4 times: click off PSU, wait 10 seconds, click on PSU, press power button (the first 3 times it did not power on).

Then the same thing happened this morning: I tried to wake my computer up from sleep, but noting happened, so I clicked off the PSU and waited 10 seconds, then pressed the power button, and nothing. After trying that for half an hour, I pulled the PSU out, unplugged the cables, pulled out the 24 pin, plugged that into the PSU, grabbed a paper clip, shorted out pins 4 and 5, clicked on the PSU, and nothing happened (except the clicking noise, which is made by some Corsair PSUs). I tried that a few times an no fan spin (I know the RM850x is a zero RPM PSU, but the Corsair website said that the fan should spin for a bit when you turn it on and it is shorted).

So, here I am, typing this all out on my really old MBP, wondering what to do now. I don't really want to RMA it, B/C I don't want to pay for shipping, then probably get another RM850x, and get this whole problem over again. Could I sell the PSU to somewhere where they might try to fix it (or even send it to LTT for a video? :P [I live in the area])

And also, what PSU should I buy? I'm thinking a Seasonic, or Seasonic OEM PSU (i.e. Phanteks). Also, should I get a 1000W for future expansion, or should I just stay with 850W?

BTW My computer specs are:

Intel Core i7 9700K

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT (Special Edition)

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

WD_Black SN750 500GB

Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE (White)

Corsair RM850x

NZXT H510i (Black)

Edit: I found a Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 on Newegg (CA) for $165 (CAD). I think I'll order it. I also found an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 on Newegg as well ($220). Wondering what OEM is more reliable: FSP (G5) or Seasonic (I think Seasonic??)

Also, I wouldn't mind having an extra PSU around for doing stuff with (like I could make a really budget PC but have a super OP semi-reliable RM850x in it).

Update: I ordered a Phanteks AMP 550W PSU off Amazon with same day delivery. The GX-850 would've come the day after tormorrow, with $8 shipping, so I ordered the Phanteks one for $112. Then I think sometime I'll order a GX-850 and use that in my main PC, and then use the Phanteks one in a second one with an RX 580 I have lying around.