Which platform is the wiser choice? Haswell or Sandy Bridge-E?

I was originally going to build my next rig based on a Z77 Ivy Bridge platform, but then I decided to wait to see what Haswell has to offer. However I have a bad habit of wanting high end gear so Sandy Bridge-E comes to mind. Now I'm not saying I need to have the most expensive gear I'm only speaking of the general platform.

So my question is which platform would be wisest choice in terms of upgrade path, features, and performance for video/photo editing and gaming? Take cost and prices out of the equation and let me know what you think.

Both platform don't have a upgrade path but the X79 has lots of bells and whistles plus the performance is a lot faster when used with the 6 core processors. It can benefit you depending on the software your using for video and photo editing.

ivy bridge-E is supposed to be coming out soon so maybe get a sandy bridge-E if you cant wait and when it comes out upgrade to a Ivy bridge-E. and for editing getting a 6 core is HUGE.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Both platform don't have a upgrade path but the X79 has lots of bells and whistles plus the performance is a lot faster when used with the 6 core processors. It can benefit you depending on the software your using for video and photo editing.

Do you know if you'll be able to drop a Ivy Bridge-E cpu into a X79 board?

So apparently the Ive Bridge-E will be using the same socket type which is 2011 and the same chipset, so technically yes if the rumors are true.

ivy bridge-E is supposed to be coming out soon so maybe get a sandy bridge-E if you cant wait and when it comes out upgrade to a Ivy bridge-E. and for editing getting a 6 core is HUGE.

^This.  The truth is, unless you're doing something that will take advantage of 6 cores and requires a lot of crunching, going 2011 would be a waste.  I guess the question should be how high-end are your video/photo editing requirements?  If high-end then 2011. 

If not, go with Z77 & a 3570K.  By doing this I saved enough money to get a new monitor($270.00), new performance mouse($65.00), and a snazzy mechanical keyboard($130.00).  Just throwing that out there.  Z77 is still very much viable and relevant as X79 doesn't get you many new features over it.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

If you don't need 6 Cores you don't buy them :D Ivy Bridge-E will bring 5% more performance compared to SandyBridge-E (And if you don't know if you could need 6 cores you really don't need it)

Just buy the cheapest unlocked cpu und be done with it, like the 3570k.

What I really don't get is wating. Now you wait for Haswell, then you think...hmm the first Chipset is buggy so i will wait for the next revison, than AMD says they will come out with the 8000er series and you want to wait again, it would be terrible if the 8000er would crush the GTX 700er you just bought! There is no futureproofing! If you buy a 3570k now you won't need a new CPU for at least 3 year and than you won't care what will fit your Z77 board because you will buy a complete new platform.

@Angkorian Kai just incase your gonna look for a 2011

Mobo for the new ivy bridge-e CPUs, EVGA has their

EVGA X79 Dark mobo that's gonna come out.

Now EVGA has had some bad boards for a while , but

They have revised the whole board , even had famed OC

Guru "k|ngp|n" use it when he made a new OCing record.

If I'm correct he even help the team tweak the BIOS, so at

This point in time I'm looking foward to this revised board no

Matter what is said of EVGA lol (^-^*)凸

There's a few videos if you would like to see them .

My build for this summer, EVGA X79 Dark, 16 gigs Corsair Platinum 1866mhz, EVGA SC TITAN,  2 Samsung 840 Pro raid 0, western digital 1tbhdd velociraptor, 1200 wt psu to be continued :)

If you don't need 6 Cores you don't buy them :D Ivy Bridge-E will bring 5% more performance compared to SandyBridge-E (And if you don't know if you could need 6 cores you really don't need it)

Just buy the cheapest unlocked cpu und be done with it, like the 3570k.

What I really don't get is wating. Now you wait for Haswell, then you think...hmm the first Chipset is buggy so i will wait for the next revison, than AMD says they will come out with the 8000er series and you want to wait again, it would be terrible if the 8000er would crush the GTX 700er you just bought! There is no futureproofing! If you buy a 3570k now you won't need a new CPU for at least 3 year and than you won't care what will fit your Z77 board because you will buy a complete new platform.

Thanks for the advice. However the OP wasn't meant to be a practical one which is why I stated about taking price/cost out of the equation.  I have a time frame in which I need a new system and it just happens that Haswell's release falls into that time frame. So it's not that I'm future proofing but rather exploring my options. It's like buying a car fully loaded(X79) over a basic trim of the same model(Z77/X87), while it may not be neccessary it's still something some people want to have and are wiling to waste money on. I understand that a 6 core cpu might not be something I need but it's still nice to know that I have one. So it's not that I disagree with your logic because it makes perfect sense, it's just I like to have nice things. :)

Here's one reason why the X79 is considered an enthusiast chipset...40 native PCIe 3.0 lanes.

gpuz-1_zpsda90446f.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Here's one reason why the X79 is considered an enthusiast chipset...40 native PCIe 3.0 lanes.

gpuz-1_zpsda90446f.jpg

O.O

How long can I expect to wait until the next version of the Sabertooth x79? I want to spend a lot of money on hardware that I won't use to its full potential.

So it's not that I disagree with your logic because it makes perfect sense, it's just I like to have nice things. :)

But having a 3570k is a really nice thing. i would rather spend money on a really nice monitor, Soundcard or peripherals then on a CPU you will never need :D

I got myself a Samsung S27A850 and it's just epic!

But having a 3570k is a really nice thing. i would rather spend money on a really nice monitor, Soundcard or peripherals then on a CPU you will never need :D

I got myself a Samsung S27A850 and it's just epic!

That is epic! That monitor is one sexy beast! I'm considering purchasing the Asus PB278Q as an upgrade to my Asus VE278Q.

Personally I just want it all epic monitor, peripherals, and so on...

To be quite honest I think I could find many reasons that could utilize the power of an epic rig. I like having the options and headroom to explore. Expensive indeed....but some people love cars and some people like myself love electronics and technology. The intention of the OP was to get a feel how the community feels about each of the mentioned platforms and therefore your input is very appreciated.

With the PB278Q you have to be caefull its the same nice panel that's in the A850 but the Asus display tends to bleed backlight, i even read that some of them have a coil whining power supply.

Somewhere they had to save money :D