I rebooted my pc and now it won't post.

ChiliPepperHott
Go to solution Solved by ChiliPepperHott,

It worked perfectly fine until then. The reboot was for the installation of docker, but I don't think that is what did it.

I tried with a different GPU, but it didn't help. I also tried restarting the bios, both with the header and by removing and replacing the battery.

It worked perfectly fine until then. The reboot was for the installation of docker, but I don't think that is what did it.

I tried with a different GPU, but it didn't help. I also tried restarting the bios, both with the header and by removing and replacing the battery.

take off the docker and see if it posts with both GPUs. i'm not sure what a docker is though

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

This is a lot more likely to be software than hardware.  One can change all sorts of hardcore basic settings that don’t take effect till restart.  I don’t know it the OS can write changes to the BIOS or not.  If a system won’t post it means there is either a problem in the bios, or in some hardware that bios uses.  Remember an OS is just a program a computer runs.  Windows compatible machines can have any sort of bios, but it must be able to run windows.  If the OS can affect the bios, it could corrupt it without showing an instant problem.  Such a thing would require reflashing the bios to something that wasn’t messed up.  Does the board have some sort of bios flashback like feature? Some way to revert it to an earlier state?  If it won’t post there’s no way to make changes otherwise without special hardware.  A computer repair company might have such.  the manufacturer is highly likely to.  If it IS hardware it would require a rather special coincidence.  Since it won’t post though, all of the standard hardware troubleshooting things that I know of that can be done to a not posting machine cost money. Possibly more money than a bios reflash.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

This is a lot more likely to be software than hardware.  One can change all sorts of hardcore basic settings that don’t take effect till restart.  I don’t know it the OS can write changes to the BIOS or not.  If a system won’t post it means there is either a problem in the bios, or in some hardware that bios uses.  Remember an OS is just a program a computer runs.  Windows compatible machines can have any sort of bios, but it must be able to run windows.  If the OS can affect the bios, it could corrupt it without showing an instant problem.  Such a thing would require reflashing the bios to something that wasn’t messed up.  Does the board have some sort of bios flashback like feature? Some way to revert it to an earlier state?  If it won’t post there’s no way to make changes otherwise without special hardware.  A computer repair company might have such.  the manufacturer is highly likely to.  If it IS hardware it would require a rather special coincidence.  Since it won’t post though, all of the standard hardware troubleshooting things that I know of that can be done to a not posting machine cost money. Possibly more money than a bios reflash.

How could docker modify bios? It doesn't make sense from a practicle or security standpoint for that to be possible.

3 hours ago, ChiliPepperHott said:

How could docker modify bios? It doesn't make sense from a practicle or security standpoint for that to be possible.

I don’t know.  I don’t know if it would be docker if it did. I don’t even know what docker is either. A docker used to be half a pair of pants from JC penny.  Pretty sure that’s not what you mean.  If docker is some sort of windows app, it would mean windows10 was running and if windows10 can do it it might have happened.  Likelyhood isn’t high.  

More likely that a spontaneous cosmic ray or whatever.  If the machine really can write to it’s flash BIOS then it’s probably a hardware problem, at which point the motherboard got checked for problems anyway because of the flash thing.

I think the suggestion above mine is better than mine.  This only matters if that doesn’t work.  The problem is the only thing you could do to follow that suggestion is pull the hard drive and see if it posts without it.   The motherboard only needs a cpu, and memory to post.  A fan at least didn’t used to create a problem like that. No logic in them, unless that changed with RGB. 

I despise rgb.  Setting money on fire makes pretty lights too, and as far as I can see there isn’t much of a difference.  Because of this I know almost nothing about it.  It would be hilarious if this is an RGB problem.  Then RGB actively makes a system LESS reliable while providing no tangible benefit.  Go ahead.  Pull the fans if they got rgb on em.  Probably do em last though.  The drive with the app you installed is the most suspicious.  I would pull that first. This would be all the storage if you got more than one.  You’ll need to pull all the stuff including the cpu and memory anyway to send the board in.  So the move would be unplug a device and try to post, If you pull the various parts and it posts you win/lose.  The motherboard flash doesn’t have a problem, but one of the parts you pulled does.  So you have a dead component that will have to be warranty replaced or some other solution.  If you posted a hardware list we could tell how old the machine is and if you have a spitting chance of warranty repair.  Each part has a different warranty and they vary a lot.  Usually somewhere between 90 days ( or a year if you live in the EU) to 12 years which is what come companies are putting on higher end PSUs these days.  The PSU is the most wear prone component.  The old ones weren’t safe after about 5 years.  It takes less than 5 years for a machine to pass from the hands of its first owner though, generally, so it wasn’t really important to buyers.

At  which point I get really into pointless reminiscing 

Spoiler

PCs tend to last longer lately, so they’re making better, higher quality PSUs available these days.  My machine is 8 years old and still gulping games, it’s on its 2nd PSU and its third video card.  I don’t expect it to last much longer though.  They finally not only started making devices with more than 8 threads, but fricking game consoles have more as well. My cpu is still faster than a console after 8 years (sort of, barely) but it doesn’t have as many threads as the new stuff.  I do t know if my old war horse can be taken to battle anymore at that point.  It will have to be relegated to office work, lording it’s superior speed over office machines and muttering about how it used to be a gaming machine.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.