Internet magna carta? Thoughts?

LifesCompanion

After watching the Snowden/Ted Talks video and talking to one of my lecturers at university about the proposed internet magna carta, I started to get curious what others think about it.

(Here's some reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26540635

Discuss! (keep it peaceful) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

*Replaced link as it lead to 404 error.*

That is abuse of power and an invasion of human rights. We must now make a formal document in which you are forced to sign so our rights are not infringed again is this manner!

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

*Replaced link as it lead to 404 error.*

Ah thanks, didn't know - fixed before multiple WTF's came in  :3

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

i think it would be good to have some set of rules for infrastructure but not for general internet use something that all the companies like verizon, at&t, and comcast  have to abide by not the general consumer. Also that content should be available everywhere not region locked

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

Too many governments have been overly invasive of our privacy. We need one to protect our rights from the extensive overreach of government. May the Internet be free again. 

PC Build

AMD FX 4130@3.8GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD R9 290@947 MHz | 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM | 500GB Seagate HDD | [broken] Cooler Master i600 PSU | Some LG Disk Drive that costed me $20|

Because internet laws really work well... (I mean, look at piracy!)

On the other hand, I'd like something saying that you cannot see what someone else is doing on the internet without their permission (Cough cough NSA)

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I think something that follows the guidelines of a Magna Carta for the Internet would be nice to have but making it a mandatory requirement would be taking it a step to far. I think it would be most effective in use when applied like the Hippocratic Oath for doctors. They aren't required to take it but it a majority do because it is an ethical and acceptable practice. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

The internet is the last bastion of real freedom of speech left to us. We need to protect that at ALL costs.

Why do people get so melodramatic over this issue? Anyway @Musikman I think that distinguishes the Magna Carta from other legal agreements was that the king was forced to sign it and that is what I think the point of this is, that people/governments have to sign it. Personally I do not think that the internet should be completely inaccessible by intelligence agencies. As harsh a reality as this is evil is real. And if the internet is completely free of being monitored then it makes it infinitely easier to do ...erm... bad things. Even the fear of being monitored I think would be sufficient of getting rid of a lot of it but if that fear or total lack of presence is in effect then I think it will cause more bad than good.

Yes I believe in free speech and yes I do not think that everything should be monitored at all times but I think if law enforcement, counter terrorism, or intelligence agencies, just leave the internet alone it will just make it a lot harder to stop and respond to violence. I think a fair compromise would be you cannot be spied on without being notified you are being watched(in some way). Those are my thoughts which I know very few people around here agree with. But the way I see it is the NSA or the CIA do have a reason to exist and I think it is not good to forget that. A decent counter argument would be that they cause more bad than good but that is an entirely separate debate in and of itself.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Why do people get so melodramatic over this issue? Anyway @Musikman I think that distinguishes the Magna Carta from other legal agreements was that the king was forced to sign it and that is what I think the point of this is, that people/governments have to sign it. Personally I do not think that the internet should be completely inaccessible by intelligence agencies. As harsh a reality as this is evil is real. And if the internet is completely free of being monitored then it makes it infinitely easier to do ...erm... bad things. Even the fear of being monitored I think would be sufficient of getting rid of a lot of it but if that fear or total lack of presence is in effect then I think it will cause more bad than good.

Yes I believe in free speech and yes I do not think that everything should be monitored at all times but I think if law enforcement, counter terrorism, or intelligence agencies, just leave the internet alone it will just make it a lot harder to stop and respond to violence. I think a fair compromise would be you cannot be spied on without being notified you are being watched(in some way). Those are my thoughts which I know very few people around here agree with. But the way I see it is the NSA or the CIA do have a reason to exist and I think it is not good to forget that. A decent counter argument would be that they cause more bad than good but that is an entirely separate debate in and of itself.

That a better statement of what I was going for. I think that the internet needs some sort of basic rule set or guiding principles to give it some kind of moral structure or guidance. An example of this might be something along the lines of "You will be polite and respectful to others and their culture". Now that might not be the best example but having something along that lines that a majority can agree upon will encourage self-policing. It doesn't necessarily need to be something that you are forced to agree to in order to use the internet but just something that you would feel pressured into following because the majority are following and assisting in its enforcement. Think of it as getting everyone to hop on the bandwagon but for a good cause. I agree with your point about the necessity of organizations such as the NSA and CIA. They are need to scourge out the "justifiably" illegal actions that take place on the internet and as a counter-terrorism effort but NOT at the expense of our Constitutional Rights. There is a fine line that they must balance on and unfortunately in recent years it seems that they have fallen of said hypothetical line. There is compromise that needs to be made and there needs to some defined ground rules for each party involved so that neither side can claim a different interpretation that accounts for a significant number of issues. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer