Dell laptop black screen after turning on UEFI mode from Legacy

xant14

So a friend brought me a Dell inspiron 7720 to install windows 10. The problem is that when I put the usb to install windows it could only boot it in UEFI mode and in my infinite wisdom i thought it would be ok. After setting it to UEFI all i got was black screen no error code no post beep nothing. I searched every single dell forum, solutions page etc but it just won't post, all I get is black screen. I cleared the CMOS, I put a windows usb for uefi onyl bios, I reseated the ram, I tried 2 diffrent hard drives, one with w10 the other with pop_os!, and a combination of all those things but I simply just won't work. I haven't seen anything like this before and i think I might have bricked it.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by xant14
Wrong Model

11 minutes ago, xant14 said:

So a friend brought me a Dell latitude 7720 to install windows 10. The problem is that when I put the usb to install windows it could only boot it in UEFI mode and in my infinite wisdom i thought it would be ok. After setting it to UEFI all i got was black screen no error code no post beep nothing. I searched every single dell forum, solutions page etc but it just won't post, all I get is black screen. I cleared the CMOS, I put a windows usb for uefi onyl bios, I reseated the ram, I tried 2 diffrent hard drives, one with w10 the other with pop_os!, and a combination of all those things but I simply just won't work. I haven't seen anything like this before and i think I might have bricked it.

Thanks in advance!

Pull the battery out, plug in the dc-in and try turn it on again. You might have screwed up the sleep-state if the battery was low.

The latitudes are notoriously terrible about batteries and many Dell laptops will do a "black screen of death" if the battery gets too drained. When you change settings on a Dell, it sometimes needs to reboot two or three times before it does anything, and again, if there was not enough power, it might have been interrupted.

You can also force the bios to recover.

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

Pull the battery out, plug in the dc-in and try turn it on again. You might have screwed up the sleep-state if the battery was low.

The latitudes are notoriously terrible about batteries and many Dell laptops will do a "black screen of death" if the battery gets too drained. When you change settings on a Dell, it sometimes needs to reboot two or three times before it does anything, and again, if there was not enough power, it might have been interrupted.

You can also force the bios to recover.

Will do that. Also I can force the bios to recover by removing the cmos battery right?

2 hours ago, xant14 said:

Will do that. Also I can force the bios to recover by removing the cmos battery right?

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000132453/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet

Keep in mind, make sure the battery has been charged fully and you leave the DC-in plugged in while you do this, because it's basically forcing the laptop to re-flash the bios from the backup. You can screw it up.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000132453/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet

Keep in mind, make sure the battery has been charged fully and you leave the DC-in plugged in while you do this, because it's basically forcing the laptop to re-flash the bios from the backup. You can screw it up.

Yeah I made a mistake the laptop is an inspiron 7720 not a latitude sorry...