Kite, WAN show sponsor, shady business practices?

Hilicot

Hello, new forum member here!
I joined because I saw that the yesterday WAN show was sponsored by Kite, which is a company that offers machine learning code autocompletion, and being a programmer myself, I heard not very good things about them.

According to this article and comments on github/twitter, the company acquired some very popular open source plugins for Atom without disclosing the buyout, which were then modified to send data to their own servers (running proprietary code, of course). Once people noticed that Kite bought those plugin, they refused to give ground, causing a glorious community backslash.
As a user of one of those plugins (atom-minimap), I was quite shocked that a company managed to successfully buy it under me, to basically put ads for their site inside Atom.

If you have the time, I really encourage you to read the article, it's a very entertaining rabbit hole.

I think @CPotter might be the right person but I could be wrong.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 1/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, Lurick said:

I think @CPotter might be the right person but I could be wrong.

Oh, I don't want to complain, they can have any sponsor they want, I just wanted to share that article, it might be interesting to some people

3 hours ago, Hilicot said:

Oh, I don't want to complain, they can have any sponsor they want, I just wanted to share that article, it might be interesting to some people

Yah, I didn't see it as a complaint but that they should still be aware of it if they are not :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: