Help With VPN Setup

Hi ltt forum, i really need help understanding how vpn works. I did watch tutorial videos and read stuff on how to configure openvpn, but somehow i cant wrap my brain around it.

My goals are to be able to connect to my home network at work and when i'm not home.

Here's what i understood so far:

1. create openvpn server

2. configure the settings, keys etc.

3. share the .ovpn file to client

4. client connect to the vpn by selecting the .ovpn file

My questions are:

1. My home dont have static ip, and they way to get around it is by using dynamic dns right? At what step/point do i need to configure it? During the openvpn server configuration?

2. Do I even need to open port on my home router to be able to serve the openvpn server? I thought by using vpn, we dont have to do that or is it just for vpn over https?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

1 minute ago, lee_jun said:

At what step/point do i need to configure it?

Whenever you like. The OpenVPN-server itself isn't reliant on that; it's you who needs that in order to easily connect to your system from outside.

2 minutes ago, lee_jun said:

Do I even need to open port on my home router to be able to serve the openvpn server? I thought by using vpn, we dont have to do that or is it just for vpn over https?

Yes, you still need to do it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You would setup Dynamic DNS at any point when setting up the VPN server. It's just you need to direct your remote client to the domain instead of your Public IP when you connect.

You need to open a port or else clients outside your network won't be able to reach the server. Opening ports are firewall exceptions to inbound traffic. If no ports are open nobody outside your network can reach the server.

Thanks for the replies, think I get it now,

- open port on router

- set the ddns and provide ip for the client in the .ovpn configuration file