US President Donald Trump's Twitter Account Locked

MyCPUIsOnFire

Summary

Donald Trump's Twitter account has been locked following the protests/riots in Washington DC this evening.

Quotes

Twitter's move came after the social media giant removed a video the president tweeted, in which he told protesters who had stormed the Capitol to "go home," while maintaining that the 2020 election had been "stolen."

The official statement from Twitter (emphasis mine):

As a result of the unprecedented and ongoing violent situation in Washington, D.C., we have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy.
This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked.
Future violations of the Twitter Rules, including our Civic Integrity or Violent Threats policies, will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.
Our public interest policy — which has guided our enforcement action in this area for years — ends where we believe the risk of harm is higher and/or more severe.
We’ll continue to evaluate the situation in real time, including examining activity on the ground and statements made off Twitter. We will keep the public informed, including if further escalation in our enforcement approach is necessary.

Trump's original, removed tweet:

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & peace. Remember this day forever!

My thoughts

Despite posting and asking people to go home, it seems to me that his Twitter account was locked not because of the protests, but because he was saying (albeit, in very aggressive terms) that the election was stolen.

Hopefully, this will cause people to realize that platforms like Facebook and Twitter may be getting too powerful if they can stop even the President of the United States from talking, especially during such a critical time. Hopefully, this causes more people sign up for more platforms like Mastodon where censorship is much harder, if not impossible.

To be honest, though, I think it was only a matter of time. Given how Twitter has been locking down and labeling tweets recently, especially Trump's tweets, this was inevitable.

Sources

The twitter thread starting at https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/1346970430062485505, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/twitter-locks-trump-account-threatens-permanent-suspension

NOTICE: THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO BE POLITICAL. THIS POST NEITHER ENDORSES NOR CONDEMNS THE ACTIONS OF THE PRESIDENT, NOR DOES IT MAKE ANY CLAIMS ABOUT THE VALIDITY OF THE RESULTS OF THE ELECTION. PLEASE DO NOT INTERPRET THIS POST IN SUCH A WAY, AND PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS POST A DISCUSSION PLACE FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ELECTION'S INTEGRITY - THERE ARE OTHER PLACES FOR THAT.

-= Topic Moved to Off-Topic and Locked =-

1. This is not Tech News. (Removal of a Twitter account is not technology related)
  2. This is highly political and inflammatory, both of which are against the Ban of Political topics in the forum and the Community Standards.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER