Low GPU Usage in All Games

CTRLALTDisease

Hi, I have an RTX 2070 Super, AMD Ryzen 3700X 8-core CPU, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and my GPU is only being used at ~13% max while playing Red Dead Redemption 2, regardless of the graphics settings in-game. My RAM usage in the same instance of RDR2 is ~10 GB and my CPU usage is 60% at most at ~4GHz. GTA V gets 45 FPS whenever I get in an area with grass. Half Life Alyx gives me 45 FPS on medium settings, at medium or low settings, motion smoothing on or off, and I get 40% or so GPU usage. Pavlov VR is about the same. VR Chat is outright unplayable. 

If I don't have V-Sync on for my games, they all crash as well. I've been up-to-date on my drivers and windows updates.

All of these games have low GPU usage. Is this a bottleneck? I bought the computer prebuilt from NZXT, and it would be really scummy if they sold me a bottlenecked PC, and I don't have the extra money to upgrade. When I check around online I see 99% of people say the components should work fine together. 

Please help. Anything is appreciated. Thank you!

Oh, and I forgot to mention I'm running a 2560 x 1080 monitor at 60 Hertz. The games have the same performance (or at least I haven't noticed a difference, in RDR2 it is actually worse than at native res) at 1920x1080.

You will get low GPU use with vsync because it caps your fps to your monitors refresh rate

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

try DDU to reinstall your drivers. could be a corruption in the driver that is making things weird.

make sure XMP/DOCP is enabled in the bios.

try re-insterting the GPU and make sure all cables are properly plugged into the GPU (including all the power cables).

if that doesn't help, download GPU-Z and check if it lists a PerfCap Reason (in the sensors tab).

if that still doesn't help, back up your computer and try a windows reinstall. 

Edited by The_Vaccine

On 1/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, The_Vaccine said:

try DDU to reinstall your drivers. could be a corruption in the driver that is making things weird.

make sure XMP/DOCP is enabled in the bios.

try re-insterting the GPU and make sure all cables are properly plugged into the GPU (including all the power cables).

if that doesn't help, download GPU-Z and check if it lists a PerfCap Reason (in the sensors tab).

if that still doesn't help, back up your computer and try a windows reinstall. 

what does idle perfcap mean

4 hours ago, bl0odf4rt said:

what does idle perfcap mean

it means that the GPU is not doing anything. at least that is what the driver is reporting. you have a 3700x cpu (so you do not have an iGPU) so the game has to run on the only available gpu, the nvidia one. so this is probably just a driver issue. Did you use DDU yet?

1 hour ago, The_Vaccine said:

it means that the GPU is not doing anything. at least that is what the driver is reporting. you have a 3700x cpu (so you do not have an iGPU) so the game has to run on the only available gpu, the nvidia one. so this is probably just a driver issue. Did you use DDU yet?

oh i am a different person looking for a similar problem and my perfcap is idle. my gpu usage and cpu usage are both very low on all games now and my computer doesnt get hot anymore. fps stays under 40 etc i have tried many things same as this guy but i have a 2080 and i7 8700k. 
did ddu still get same problems though

1 hour ago, bl0odf4rt said:

oh i am a different person

*facepalm*

1 hour ago, bl0odf4rt said:

did ddu still get same problems though

screenshot your task manager performance tab when the game is running. also screenshot the sensors tab in GPU-Z (need to download this software)

22 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

*facepalm*

screenshot your task manager performance tab when the game is running. also screenshot the sensors tab in GPU-Z (need to download this software)

I'm on rust with max settings

top.PNG

bottom.PNG

cpu.PNG

gpu.PNG

something is wrong with your cpu looks like. why is it running at 1.4GHz? reset the bios and see if anything changes. 

33 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

something is wrong with your cpu looks like. why is it running at 1.4GHz? reset the bios and see if anything changes. 

i did that, but the thing is my cpu goes above 3.7 ghz when im not in any games