This plastic piece fell out of my pc when I tipped it over to service the back panel, any ideas what it did

Pa1yn
Go to solution Solved by Eekiig,

This looks like as one of the holding-noses from the frontpanel.

Don't worry about it 😉

Greetings...

Don't worry about it 😉

Greetings...

2 minutes ago, Eekiig said:

Don't worry about it 😉

Greetings...

Pcie latch doesn't click like the rest so was thinking it came off of that specific slot but idek

4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Pcie latch doesn't click like the rest so was thinking it came off of that specific slot but idek

Thanks for the response - It could also hold the secure-switch of your pcie-Slot...

can you send a picture from the slot?

Just now, Eekiig said:

Thanks for the response - It could also hold the secure-switch of your pcie-Slot...

can you send a picture from the slot?

So basically the latch is seated normally but unlike the rest of the slots the latch doesn't make a noticable click when i close it

IMG_20210105_130735.jpg

Looks more like the holding latch off a RAM slot to me. I don't know how big your hands are but it looks too small (and the wrong shape) to be from the PCIe slot.

Its also possible its a holding latch for the front of the case in which case it really isn't a big deal.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Looks more like the holding latch off a RAM slot to me. I don't know how big your hands are but it looks too small (and the wrong shape) to be from the PCIe slot.

Its also possible its a holding latch for the front of the case in which case it really isn't a big deal.

The ram slots are all there, my hands are big and it can be pinched between two fingers

1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

The ram slots are all there, my hands are big and it can be pinched between two fingers

Its possible it came from inside the PCIe slot somewhere TBF though I'd be surprised that it fell out of a populated slot.

Did you remove the card from the PCIe slot during the service?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its possible it came from inside the PCIe slot somewhere TBF though I'd be surprised that it fell out of a populated slot.

Did you remove the card from the PCIe slot during the service?

I did lol

Well - i dont see very much at the picture - but if the PC running fine and all is still in place, i would say: Don't shake your PC and keep cool...

... But I'm open for other pictures (the slot without any card)...

EDIT

As i see from the picture it could come from there...

Just now, Eekiig said:

Well - i dont see very much at the picture - but if the PC running fine and all is still in place, i would say: Don't shake your PC and keep cool...

... But I'm open for other pictures (the slot without any card)...

I just put everything back before posting hence the dusty side panel picture

5 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

I did lol

Well I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the latch is closed and the card is screwed down there's little chance of it coming loose. Just be mindful that if you ever move the computer you might want to open it up and push down on the card/check the latch is still closed.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Well I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the latch is closed and the card is screwed down there's little chance of it coming loose. Just be mindful that if you ever move the computer you might want to open it up and push down on the card/check the latch is still closed.

I mean i did break a front panel holding stud and I don't know where the plastic fell from in the case, I'm not a pcie slot abuser 😆

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Also isn't it unlikely for plastic to break off from inside the slot due to it being one piece of plastic

5 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Also isn't it unlikely for plastic to break off from inside the slot due to it being one piece of plastic

That piece might have sat at the end of the slot to give the hook on the card something to grab on to. When you pulled the card out you might have also pulled the piece out as well.

I think it might be from the front panel as I didn't hear or feel any difference inserting the card again, the latch still requires force to push down when the card is inserted