My computer just doesn't turn off

Hosepherrr

I am not an expert at anything when it comes to computers, but I do know some things about building and why to choose what you do, but I am stumped. When I click shut down or press the power button, it turns my monitors off like normal, but then the fans start spinning at max speed and never stops until I unplug the computer. My microphone, which as a light on it, stays on. My portable SSD also stays on. I also have a light indicating disk usage, which was still flashing. From what I could find, it sounded like a PSU problem, but I tested it with a different PSU and it was the same. I also have switched out my random hard drive for an SSD, but that also did not help. What could be wrong?

Computer Specs:

ASRock B250M

Intel i7 6700

16 GB DDR4 RAM (not sure on MHZ)

NVIDIA 1050 ti

Rosewill 450W PSU

13 minutes ago, Hosepherrr said:

I am not an expert at anything when it comes to computers, but I do know some things about building and why to choose what you do, but I am stumped. When I click shut down or press the power button, it turns my monitors off like normal, but then the fans start spinning at max speed and never stops until I unplug the computer. My microphone, which as a light on it, stays on. My portable SSD also stays on. I also have a light indicating disk usage, which was still flashing. From what I could find, it sounded like a PSU problem, but I tested it with a different PSU and it was the same. I also have switched out my random hard drive for an SSD, but that also did not help. What could be wrong?

Computer Specs:

ASRock B250M

Intel i7 6700

16 GB DDR4 RAM (not sure on MHZ)

NVIDIA 1050 ti

Rosewill 450W PSU

It is also posible that you have the "power on by ### (LAN, USB,ect.) option checked in your BIOS.  Take a look there and see if anything like that is marked.  If so, then any of those devices could be causing your computer to stay on.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

16 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

It is also posible that you have the "power on by ### (LAN, USB,ect.) option checked in your BIOS.  Take a look there and see if anything like that is marked.  If so, then any of those devices could be causing your computer to stay on.

I checked, all of this was disabled already...

2 minutes ago, Hosepherrr said:

I checked, all of this was disabled already...

Your front panel connectors may be mis-plugged (if that's a word). Make sure those are in the right slots, though this would be the case if you've never been able to turn off your PC ever since you turned it on

hmmm... Try shutting down from something other than the windows OS.  Get a LiveUSB of linux and try shutting down from that environment.  if it shuts down properly, we can assume the problem is a software issue within windows.  If it doesn't then it is likely hardware.

9 minutes ago, Hz Eurythmic said:

Your front panel connectors may be mis-plugged (if that's a word). Make sure those are in the right slots, though this would be the case if you've never been able to turn off your PC ever since you turned it on

I can do a hard shutdown, but that's about it. I have checked everything I can, and it looks right. I have tried unplugging everything and making sure to plug them in correctly.

Try to shutdown via the command line. There might be some problem via the Windows Gui shutdown.

Also, what happens when you reboot?

18 minutes ago, Yatharth Shah said:

Try to shutdown via the command line. There might be some problem via the Windows Gui shutdown.

Also, what happens when you reboot?

Same result using "shutdown /r" in cmd as Admin. After a hard shutdown, I can press the power button and it turns on like normal. 

On 1/4/2021 at 12:57 AM, Hosepherrr said:

Same result using "shutdown /r" in cmd as Admin. After a hard shutdown, I can press the power button and it turns on like normal. 

Have you tried a different OS yet?  The windows command line shutdown is probably pretty similar to the shutdown processes of just hitting shutdown from the start menu.