Graphics card overheating up to 100 degrees

Hello, I have a proble with my MSI R9 380 graphics card overheating. Over load it goes up to 100 degrees like for example playing a game or something. I'm planning on changing the termal paste becouse it's about 5 year old card after all and I don't think there will be much left of the old one. I read that old paste can cause alot of problems with overheating, but I'm not sure if I should also change the termal pads. They are old and probably don't do much work but I'm not sure how important they are and if it's necessary to also change them. If they are not that important should i just remove them becouse i read that it's better without that with old ones. If they are important and i should change them how can i find exactly what i need. They come in different sizes and thickness and I don't know what to get.

ps. I recently got a new case so im sure it's gpu problem and it's not overheating cause of bad case, airflow or something.

Thank you in advance. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

(Sorry for my english)

7 minutes ago, Mariqn said:

You can see them in the video but the card looked quite new so he didn't have to change them.

OOps, missed that but I hope the vid helped

have you tried turning up the fans to 100%?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

13 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

have you tried turning up the fans to 100%?

I have. And they are almost 100% when its on auto anyways when it gets to this high temperature.

2 minutes ago, Mariqn said:

I have. And they are almost 100% when its on auto anyways when it gets to this high temperature.

That sucks I never had a problem like this. It must be a lack of contact. or maybe somehting's burned up inside and all the wattage gets stuck in a concentrated point, but thne it would proabbly malfunction, does the gpu work without artifacts?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

2 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

That sucks I never had a problem like this. It must be a lack of contact. or maybe somehting's burned up inside and all the wattage gets stuck in a concentrated point, but thne it would proabbly malfunction, does the gpu work without artifacts?

Yes it works fine. Overheating is the only problem but i thought it's normal for 5 year old paste to cause this ?

12 hours ago, Mariqn said:

Yes it works fine. Overheating is the only problem but i thought it's normal for 5 year old paste to cause this ?

not in my experience. I'm not a material scientist so idk for all paste

14 hours ago, Mariqn said:

Yeah it’s pretty normal 

especially with hotter cards, when you take off the cooler note the consistency of the paste

by now it’s likely more like a compacted powder or clay like substance

as for your original question, if you’re taking it apart to replace the thermal paste, just get new thermal pads anyway, check out the width of the pads and order a sheet off of Amazon, cut to size. They’re fairly cheap (usually around 10$ for a decently large square) and you just cut out sections as you need them.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

Yeah it’s pretty normal 

especially with hotter cards, when you take off the cooler note the consistency of the paste

by now it’s likely more like a compacted powder or clay like substance

as for your original question, if you’re taking it apart to replace the thermal paste, just get new thermal pads anyway, check out the width of the pads and order a sheet off of Amazon, cut to size. They’re fairly cheap (usually around 10$ for a decently large square) and you just cut out sections as you need them.

How can i check what width it is? Do i need to open it up and masure them? And it looks like there are different kinds is something like this ok OEM Thermal pad TC550 - 15x15x1mm 5.5 W-mK ?

3 minutes ago, Mariqn said:

How can i check what width it is? Do i need to open it up and masure them? And it looks like there are different kinds is something like this ok OEM Thermal pad TC550 - 15x15x1mm 5.5 W-mK ?

You don’t gotta go for any specific fancy thermal pad, get the plain blue ones.

Googling the card, it seems most 380/390’s used 1 or 1.5mm thermal pads. I’d say 1.5mm just to be safe, better to compress than have loose contact.

You don’t gotta be precise, just cover what has thermal pads now with new thermal pads of similar size. Thermal pads are transferring heat to the heat sink off of components that are hot enough to need cooling but not so hot that they need like, direct heat pipe contact.