MacBook Air rises from dead!

WhatTheQuack

The strangest thing happened to me today...

About half-a-year ago, I was playing kerbal space program on my MacBook air, which was on the kitchen table. As I was waiting for the game to launch, I decided to pour myself a glass of lemonade. (You can probably see where this is going...)

​After what must have been half an hour of playing the game I needed to go to the loo, so as I reached across to the escape key to pause the game, I knocked the half-full glass of lemonade over the MBA's keyboard...

It instantly shut off.  :(

So after saying many bad words, I picked the laptop up to try and dry it out. Then I made the second worst mistake of the day: In my panic, I tried to turn the laptop back on, just minutes after 'the incident'. (I am sure many of you know that this is the worst possible thing to do at this point)

After roughly 10 days of the MBA sitting upside-down in my airing cupboard, I decided to try again... Still no boot. At this point I had just about given up and decided to take it to the Apple store to see if there was anything that they could do.

At the Apple store the guy took the laptop away to look at the inside, when he came back my hopes sank further as he said "yeah, there's quite a lot of lemonade in there". Then he gave me an estimated repair bill of just under £500! So then I decided to finally give up hope.

Today when I got home from school I found the MBA while tidying my room, so I decided to see what would happen if I turned it on. I connected the charger, watched the LED turn from green to orange, and then pressed the power button...

Nothing.  :wacko:

I looked away for a second, and heard a faint chime from the laptop, as I looked back around I saw the Apple logo on the screen; to my disbelief it had had booted! So after being drowned in lemonade and then left for almost half-a-year, somehow it had managed to boot once again, I was (and still am) speechless for almost 10 minutes, just staring, in disbelief at the screen.

Also, apart from the keyboard being sticky, it seems to be fully functional. So my day just got 100 times better! :)  

EDIT: After a quick S.M.A.RT test, the SSD appears to by fully functional, also both memory modules are reporting OK and the battery is in 'normal' condition. So apparently, despite the fact that it was on at the time, it hasn't been damaged by the lemonade...

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

its fascinating how rigit apple laptops are. Dropped my macbook aluminum edition like a hundred times from more tan 3 foot on the floor :S still fin though just a couple dents :D

You.... You do realize why it worked right?

The lemonade didn't fry anything (that's where you got uber lucky), and then it dried over the 6 months. 

Dried as in no more water. As in, no more conductivity, as in, it should technically work fine (as long as nothing was fried).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You.... You do realize why it worked right?

The lemonade didn't fry anything (that's where you got uber lucky), and then it dried over the 6 months. 

Dried as in no more water. As in, no more conductivity, as in, it should technically work fine (as long as nothing was fried).

Yeah, I guess.

But it was on at the time, and I tried to turn it back on while it was still wet. Also It turned off instantly when it happened

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

I had almost the exact same accident with my macbook pro, pour some iced tea, spill, instant shut off, try to turn it back on right after cleaning it a bit, completely dead. I really wish this would happen to me :(

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Just make sure it doesnt blow up  :D

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

If I were you I would still open up that case and make sure that lemonade goo is not still there eventually corroding you metal parts. Sure it runs but after what happened I'm sure some oxidation is to begin.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If I were you I would still open up that case and make sure that lemonade goo is not still there eventually corroding you metal parts. Sure it runs but after what happened I'm sure some oxidation is to begin.

I would if it didn't have the stupid pentalobe screws that Apple seem to be obsessed with...

My PC: