Found an old Tablet

Donut417

Found my Motorola Xoom Tablet. Its running ICS from what I have seen. I cant sign in to anything. Is there anything I can do with it, or is this one of those situations where I take it to an electronics recycler? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Do you need it for anything? It's approaching 10 years old, so I'm not sure how well any modern software would work or if any development has been done to support it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Do you need it for anything? It's approaching 10 years old, so I'm not sure how well any modern software would work or if any development has been done to support it. 

No. I just found it in a box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Unlikely that modern software has any shot of working on it, especially if we’re talking the Tegra 2 model. Though Cortex A9s aren’t too far removed from the common Cortex A53s we see today in 32-bit integer and FPU performance, Nvidia hamstrung them pretty severely in omitting NEON support (a bit like if you killed off SSE for x86 CPUs). Modern ARM software for the past few years has required NEON support, including custom ROMs.

Further, the video decode block could only decode a modest bitrate, Baseline Profile for H.264. Most streaming media uses High Profile H.264. Video playback apps often required custom software codecs to support the Tegra 2 due to lack of hardware decode capability, and lack of NEON. And a hefty overclock was still necessary to pull it off for 720P. 

As an aside, I had a Tegra 2 device for awhile (LG Optimus 2X). Some other oddities included lack of unified shaders, relying upon the old split Pixel and Vertex shaders, and lack of a Z-buffer, which prevented the use of shadow maps. Performance on the T-Rex benchmark (800 x 480 resolution) was about 1-2 fps, keeping in mind shadows weren’t even being rendered. In comparison, the Apple A13 is good for >300 FPS at 1920 x 1080. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…