RTX 3080 Low Gpu Usage % and Wattage

Very sorry to bother you all. I've just built a new PC, and I'm having really weird RTX 3080 performance. I've seen others with similar problems online, but I've noticed they've given a lack of information, so I thought if I provided more data, someone might be able to provide an answer.

So the rig I've built is:

Ryzen 5800x
GSkill Trident Z Neo 3200mhz 16-18-18-38 32gb (2x16gb)
ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC Edition (10gb vram)
ASUS B550m+ Motherboard

1 x NVME Drive
1 x SATA SSD
1 x SATA HDD

PSU Corsair RM850x

As you can see, the Power Supply should be generating more than enough power (and it does from the stats I've checked).

So the problem is, in certain games (mostly DX12), I'm having very low GPU usage despite the CPU not being saturated in use. The CPU still has room to work with, but the GPU is just not drawing any power, and is not boosting correctly.

Look at these screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CLB2hFP3K82vMnsZeUDSy310zxQwxIXq?usp=sharing

You can see that the GPU is drawing less than 150w of power when I look at an intense scene in Gears of War 5, then when I turn to face a low intensity area, the wattage spikes way up, and the GPU has more utilisation (though still not much above 50% if at all). This happens on the lowest preset at 720p also.

In Cyberpunk too, the same problem arises. It will always play at 28-32fps whether that's full ray tracing 4K, or whether I do lowest settings at 720p, it's always at a 28-32 fps range.

When I go out into the desert, and find a very low intensity area, I suddenly cross an invisible line, and the frame rate will shoot up to 103fps as it should be for my rig. The wattage also jumps up to 300watts used (which is normal for this card).

So basically, my graphics card is not pulling enough power when it needs to be working hard, and it does pull all of that power in really quiet areas with nothing happening. It's a really weird behaviour, and I was wondering if anyone has ideas on what to do.

What I've tried myself:

1] DDU uninstalling gfx card drivers and doing clean install (also tried a clean driver install, without using geforce experience at all).

2] Not daisy-chaining the power leads into the gfx card. Have separated both 8pins into the gfx card.

3] Reinstalled windows completely

4] Updated motherboard bios and tried older versions (can't go too far back, becuase I have to use October ones at minimum for Ryzen 5000 support).

5] Updated all CPU drivers etc on the system

6] Reinstalled both games multiple times

7] Booted system in safe mode etc.

8] Ran programs in administrator mode, and used certain .exe hex edits for Cyberpunk suggested for improving CPU and GPU performance

9] I know my ram is sitting at 3000mhz right now, that's because one module isn't able to post at 3200mhz, so I've downclocked both to 3000mhz. I do have a warranty, but there are reasons why I can't return them currently. They're not broken otherwise, just failed the quality assurance for 3200mhz, but work fine at 3000mhz, so I've left them there. Have also tried switching out ram with some Corsair Vengeance ones from my friend at 3200mhz and working correctly according to their rated spec, with same results.

As you can see, nothing works.

The only clues I have for you are the HWINFO numbers, AMD's Ryzen Master's information on the CPU, and what MSI afterburner shows. The one thing I've noticed, is there's a voltage limit warning in MSI when I do find areas that are behaving "normally" FPS-wise.

Any ideas gang? I would really appreciate the help, because I've spent a lot of money on a new PC which doesn't seem to function properly :(

Just bad drivers right now? Should wait until Nvidia patches a few things?
Thought I'd also mention, the ASUS TUF 3080 only has 2 x 8 pin connections, whilst most others have 3 x 8pin. I'm sure there's a reason for that, and I don't think that's a mistake on their account. The mosfets are 6 x high quality caps too. No cheap black ones.

I've inserted a GTX 1050ti that I've inherited recently to test more things out, and that works fine even in the 2 games I've shown. So I've narrowed the problem down exclusively to the ASUS TUF RTX 3080. Also just wanted to point out that the card sits at around 1700mhz normally in its problem-mode, but boosts to around 1950mhz in the better areas. That's another clue hopefully.

It's really weird. The card runs faster in low intensity areas, and runs slower in busy areas where it needs to be running faster >_>

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. GPU usage barely goes above 15-20% ingame.

My build : 

EVGA 3080

B550 AORUS ELITE V2

Rysen 3700x

650W PSU

As you did, i tried every step possible, re installing every driver, windows, games etc... I also work with CAD and render programs (keyshot specifically), and i had a problem with newest Nvidia drivers, a problem that was resolved by downgrading to older nvidia drivers. But it didn't change the CP77 problem. I've also seen posts about a similar issue solved by removing every Asus software from windows. 

So my opinion is that it's a problem either from the motherboard, or the amd CPU. 

I say this because 99% of people who had a similar problem hab either a AMD CPU or an Asus MB. 

I don't think it's about a wattage problem. If you don't have enough Watt the systems crash directely, there is usually no inbetween.

The range of FPS is a little different, and like 40-60 when i'm on foot, and 5-40 when i'm driving.

So if you haven't tried it already, cleaning your windows from every asus utility that might change the way your MB drives your CPU... ?

(sorry for the mistakes, it's a bit too technical for my english)

Cheers 
Léo 

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, LeoMillet said:

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. GPU usage barely goes above 15-20% ingame.

My build : 

EVGA 3080

B550 AORUS ELITE V2

Rysen 3700x

650W PSU

As you did, i tried every step possible, re installing every driver, windows, games etc... I also work with CAD and render programs (keyshot specifically), and i had a problem with newest Nvidia drivers, a problem that was resolved by downgrading to older nvidia drivers. But it didn't change the CP77 problem. I've also seen posts about a similar issue solved by removing every Asus software from windows. 

So my opinion is that it's a problem either from the motherboard, or the amd CPU. 

I say this because 99% of people who had a similar problem hab either a AMD CPU or an Asus MB. 

I don't think it's about a wattage problem. If you don't have enough Watt the systems crash directely, there is usually no inbetween.

The range of FPS is a little different, and like 40-60 when i'm on foot, and 5-40 when i'm driving.

So if you haven't tried it already, cleaning your windows from every asus utility that might change the way your MB drives your CPU... ?

(sorry for the mistakes, it's a bit too technical for my english)

Cheers 
Léo 

I came across your thread because I have the exact same problem. I just opened up a new thread under my name so feel free to check it out. 

My gpu though goes a bit higher with utilization and my fps is higher as well. But not nearly as high as it should!

Did you get your problem solved? And if yes how?

Best regards

Max