Display loses connection and GPU fans ramp up to 100%

JazzToots

I have been using this system without any issues at all until today, and I had not changed anything when the issues started. When I launch a game, after about 3-10 minutes in the video will go black, monitor says no connection, and the fans on the GPU will ramp up to 100%. I can still hear game and windows sounds in the background most of the time, but I have to hold the power button on the pc to shut down as nothing responds.

I have never seen my GPU temps go above 64 degrees Celcius. I have not adjusted any settings on clock speeds, voltage, and have not installed any bios on the card, in short, I have been using it exactly as it came. Card was purchased brand new.I am using the card with displayport on a new LG monitor that I have had for 4 days. No issues until today.

I have:

Flipped the cable around

Tried HDMI cable instead of displayport

Swapped the power cable going into the graphics card from the PSU and ensured it is seated correctly in PCI-E slot

And finally, after none of that working, I updated the graphics drivers with a clean install through Geforce Experience. I was running on the drivers released before the last ones in December. No change at all, every time I run a game, after a few minutes I get black screen, monitor tells me there is no connection, fan speeds go all the way up, and I need to reset pc.I ran a monitor log with MSI Afterburer, and the only thing that looks strange to me from that is the core clock speed boosts up to 1850mhz before the crash happens. The spec on this card says core clock of 1755mhz, and again, I have not adjusted anything at all on the card. I am not sure if it has been ramping to that clock speed all along, but until today I have never had any crashes.

Card is a Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4GB

My other system specs are as follows:

i5 3570k (OC to 3.8 base clock and 4.2 on boost)

Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 motherboard

16gb G-Skill Ripjaws X 1600 DDR3 (4GBx4, XMP enabled)

850 Watt Thermaltake PSU 80+ Gold, I forget the specific model

CPU temps top off at 72° at highest, often lower than that.

Highest I have ever seen GPU temp is 64°

GPU was purchased brand new in October 2020

Monitor is new, but used for 4 days without any issues so I don't know how that could be involved, but just in case: LG Ultragear 27GN850-B

My first thought: it's dying. If the problem progressively gets worse, its definitely on its way out. Your card doesnt seem too terribly old though so it might be something else. Do you have the latest nvidia drivers installed?

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

1 minute ago, richodude said:

My first thought: it's dying. If the problem progressively gets worse, its definitely on its way out. Your card doesnt seem too terribly old though so it might be something else. Do you have the latest nvidia drivers installed?

After the issue started today, I updated the drivers on a clean install using Geforce Experience, and then restarted.

Card was purchased brand new in October, it isn't even 3 months old yet. Played yesterday for hours without issue.

Does this happen all the time or only in one specific game? On your graphics card manufacturer's website for your gpu, check to make sure your running the latest vBIOS for your graphics card. The only other thing I can think of is the motherboard BIOS, but I'm unsure that would have an effect on the GPU. The good news is if it turns out to be a GPU-related issue, it should still be covered under warranty (as you said it was purchased Oct. 2020). 

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

43 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Does this happen all the time or only in one specific game? On your graphics card manufacturer's website for your gpu, check to make sure your running the latest vBIOS for your graphics card. The only other thing I can think of is the motherboard BIOS, but I'm unsure that would have an effect on the GPU. The good news is if it turns out to be a GPU-related issue, it should still be covered under warranty (as you said it was purchased Oct. 2020). 

I noticed when I tried playing Vermintide II today, which I played last night for a few hours. I then tried launching Gears Tactics, and it was doing it in that game also. I have not tried any other games. I have no issues running Windows and even watching videos, the problem only presents when I launch a game.

I have checked the vbios, it is the most recent. Also, the only other bios available for my mobo still says beta, so I have not installed that.

I think I will have to do a warranty replacement, but I'm hoping you geniuses will help me figure out a solution without that, as that means no graphics card for an extended period :(

I was reading about this same issue on a different thread, although different graphics cards, and those pointed towards poor thermal paste. I have some thermal paste however I don't want to pop off the cooler of the GPU since it voids the warranty.

3 minutes ago, JazzToots said:

I noticed when I tried playing Vermintide II today, which I played last night for a few hours. I then tried launching Gears Tactics, and it was doing it in that game also. I have not tried any other games. I have no issues running Windows and even watching videos, the problem only presents when I launch a game.

I have checked the vbios, it is the most recent. Also, the only other bios available for my mobo still says beta, so I have not installed that.

I think I will have to do a warranty replacement, but I'm hoping you geniuses will help me figure out a solution without that, as that means no graphics card for an extended period :(

I was reading about this same issue on a different thread, although different graphics cards, and those pointed towards poor thermal paste. I have some thermal paste however I don't want to pop off the cooler of the GPU since it voids the warranty.

You aren't using any of those "game ready" enhancers, are you? One of these could be interfering with the GPU. Example: Razer Cortex

1 minute ago, PenguinMaster said:

You aren't using any of those "game ready" enhancers, are you? One of these could be interfering with the GPU. Example: Razer Cortex

Got to be honest, I'm not sure what you mean. I don't use any Razer peripherals or software. I do have logitech software installed, but the only thing that affects is my mouse for its DPI settings and color scheme. Does Geforce Experience do any game ready poopy cucka?

4 minutes ago, JazzToots said:

Got to be honest, I'm not sure what you mean. I don't use any Razer peripherals or software. I do have logitech software installed, but the only thing that affects is my mouse for its DPI settings and color scheme. Does Geforce Experience do any game ready poopy cucka?

NVIDIA has "GeForce Experience" which has game ready drivers, but this shouldn't be a problem, it should in theory actually help with games. Unless there is a defective driver release from NVIDIA. Maybe try using this to install game ready drives? 🤔

6 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

NVIDIA has "GeForce Experience" which has game ready drivers, but this shouldn't be a problem, it should in theory actually help with games. Unless there is a defective driver release from NVIDIA. Maybe try using this to install game ready drives? 🤔

I did, I use Geforce Experience to install my drivers, and I always choose "Clean Install". This is all in my original post, which I know was long and probably a bit unclear. Sorry about that.

5 minutes ago, JazzToots said:

I did, I use Geforce Experience to install my drivers, and I always choose "Clean Install". This is all in my original post, which I know was long and probably a bit unclear. Sorry about that.

Totally fine, I must've just not seen that you had said that. Hopefully someone with more information will be able to assist you at this point, or consider contacting NVIDIA or your graphics card manufacturer to see what they have to say / offer.