Dell Optiplex 9020 Building Specs.

Hello, In the coming months I am considering going the cheap and Easy route route by buying a after market Dell OptiPlex 9020. The specs I'm looking for are Core I7-4790 (non K) and about 16 Gb of ram when all complete.  I do plan on buying and SSD along with the hard drive As well.  I do have a few questions and hoping to get some of your recommendations. 

My first question resides in the graphics card. From YouTube, Ive seen many choices, but the GTX 1070 and RX 580 appear the most often.  I used a bottleneck calculator with both graphics cards and got the following results, with the GTX 1070 there is a 13% bottleneck on 1080P and it lowers as you go up.  The RX 580 received a 3% Bottleneck. Which one do you think would be the ultimate better choice, or is there a different graphics card that you would recommend better for this setup?.

Now my second question is this. Do you think in 2021, would it be worth it to still buy a setup like this, Or do you have any better recommendations a little more recent? 

Finally, regarding the 4790 and the 4790k. Would it make much of a difference at all if I were to pay the extra amount for the K. 

Thank you for reading, Id appreciate it if you could help me out. 

Have a good day

There wouldn't be much reason to get the 4970K as opposed to the 4790 as you aren't going to be overclocking it, and I'm not certain that the 9020 would even run the 4790K. I would go with the RX 580 as it's a fair bit cheaper than the 1070. Just don't pay too much for the computer itself. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

13 minutes ago, Crazyblueeyes6 said:

My first question resides in the graphics card. From YouTube, Ive seen many choices, but the GTX 1070 and RX 580 appear the most often.  I used a bottleneck calculator with both graphics cards and got the following results, with the GTX 1070 there is a 13% bottleneck on 1080P and it lowers as you go up.  The RX 580 received a 3% Bottleneck. Which one do you think would be the ultimate better choice, or is there a different graphics card that you would recommend better for this setup?.

whatever is cheaper is what it really comes down to.

13 minutes ago, Crazyblueeyes6 said:

Now my second question is this. Do you think in 2021, would it be worth it to still buy a setup like this, Or do you have any better recommendations a little more recent?

What I would do is go on facebook marketplace or somewhere and find someone selling their old pc. Find one with a quad core and make sure the case would be big enough to fit a gpu. they usually ask for more than what theyre worth so id pay $150 max. Id then slap some ram, a gpu, and an ssd in there if you're going the lazy route.

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

The RX 580 is a hot card unless you undervolt it, you need good airflow to keep it performing at it's peak. Undervolted and fed cool air they're good, but still a power hungry card so make sure the power supply can support it.

10 hours ago, richodude said:

What I would do is go on facebook marketplace or somewhere and find someone selling their old pc. Find one with a quad core and make sure the case would be big enough to fit a gpu. they usually ask for more than what theyre worth so id pay $150 max. Id then slap some ram, a gpu, and an ssd in there if you're going the lazy route.

Ill look into doing something like that. Thank you for giving your insight! Have a good day!

10 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

There wouldn't be much reason to get the 4970K as opposed to the 4790 as you aren't going to be overclocking it, and I'm not certain that the 9020 would even run the 4790K. I would go with the RX 580 as it's a fair bit cheaper than the 1070. Just don't pay too much for the computer itself. 

Thats about as what I figured. It doesn't seem there is too big of a performance gap between the 580 and 1070. I definitely wanna keep it below 500, because at that point I would be getting into buying a brand new CLX computer. Thank you for your insight, Have a good day! 

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

The RX 580 is a hot card unless you undervolt it, you need good airflow to keep it performing at it's peak. Undervolted and fed cool air they're good, but still a power hungry card so make sure the power supply can support it.

I did plan on upgrading PSU, and putting everything into a more airflow sufficient case. Thank you for giving your insight, Have a good day. 

A problem that you will face with the 9020 is that the motherboard uses a custom power connector, so if you upgrade the power supply you will also need an adapter.

edit: example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-3m-ATX-PSU-Power-Adapter-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Cable-Compatible-with-DELL-Optiplex/383852660363?hash=item595f66c68b:g:pwYAAOSwGAxf0t6v

2 minutes ago, Nathat23 said:

A problem that you will face with the 9020 is that the motherboard uses a custom power connector, so if you upgrade the power supply you will also need an adapter.

edit: example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-3m-ATX-PSU-Power-Adapter-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Cable-Compatible-with-DELL-Optiplex/383852660363?hash=item595f66c68b:g:pwYAAOSwGAxf0t6v

I did not realize this, thank you for pointing it out! Have a good day! 

6 hours ago, Crazyblueeyes6 said:

Thats about as what I figured. It doesn't seem there is too big of a performance gap between the 580 and 1070. I definitely wanna keep it below 500, because at that point I would be getting into buying a brand new CLX computer. Thank you for your insight, Have a good day! 

I bought my 1070 used on ebay for $180 (usd) and its working pretty good. almost cant tell it was even used

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

17 hours ago, richodude said:

I bought my 1070 used on ebay for $180 (usd) and its working pretty good. almost cant tell it was even used

Alright thanks for letting me know, I did plan on buying mostly everything off Ebay, but I know better than to do that with the PSU. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, richodude said:

trust not worth it. i did it. slapping myself. just know i could have bought 2 prebuilt.