$1500.- Gaming PC for my Brother

Budget (including currency): USD 1'500.- (CHF 1'300.-)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Photoshop and School - Needs to be both able to do Gaming and Productivity

Other details: See below

Hello everyone!

My brother wants to build a PC for around CHF 1'300.- (Swiss Francs), which is around USD 1'500.- - excluding the OS and peripherals. As I just ordered the parts for my own new PC he asked me if I could provide some help in selecting the parts. Here's the list I prepared:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X incl. Stock Cooler
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce DUAL RTX 3060TI (8GB)
  • MBO: AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 16B DDR4-3200
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB
  • Case: NZXT H510
  • PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/suiMarc/saved/VkhMVn

With these parts, I have about $50.- left in the budget. Is there anything you guys would change / upgrade / downgrade / add?

I do appreciate your help; have a happy new year!

Marc

great list! Get urself an rgb fan with that 50 bucks or 50 mcdonald's hamburgers. The only thing is you might wanna spend $20 on an external disc reader if you ever plan on using CDs at all, but who does that anymore anyways??

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

3 hours ago, chocolateflight said:

Budget (including currency): USD 1'500.- (CHF 1'300.-)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Photoshop and School - Needs to be both able to do Gaming and Productivity

Other details: See below

Hello everyone!

My brother wants to build a PC for around CHF 1'300.- (Swiss Francs), which is around USD 1'500.- - excluding the OS and peripherals. As I just ordered the parts for my own new PC he asked me if I could provide some help in selecting the parts. Here's the list I prepared:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X incl. Stock Cooler
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce DUAL RTX 3060TI (8GB)
  • MBO: AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 16B DDR4-3200
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB
  • Case: NZXT H510
  • PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/suiMarc/saved/VkhMVn

With these parts, I have about $50.- left in the budget. Is there anything you guys would change / upgrade / downgrade / add?

I do appreciate your help; have a happy new year!

Marc

NVIDIA recommends a 600 watt PSU for the 3060ti, you should probably upgrade to 600/650 W instead of the 550 W you have in there. I think there is a Straight Power 11 that comes in 650 W, so you could get that. 

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback! 😊

2 minutes ago, js5836 said:

NVIDIA recommends a 600 watt PSU for the 3060ti, you should probably upgrade to 600/650 W instead of the 550 W you have in there. 

I've read that, yeah. I'm wondering if it really makes sense though. PartPicker gives me an estimated wattage of around 360W with these components. I know that this is only an estimation but there's still a lot of room left between 360W and 550W, isn't there?

3 hours ago, chocolateflight said:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback! 😊

I've read that, yeah. I'm wondering if it really makes sense though. PartPicker gives me an estimated wattage of around 360W with these components. I know that this is only an estimation but there's still a lot of room left between 360W and 550W, isn't there?

PC PartPicker is not accurate, and honestly, I would just stick to what NVIDIA says, since PSU is one of the most important parts of the build, and its definetly something you should not skimp on.

not 100% sure but afaik stock cooler is barely good for 5600x. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would be a good choice.

2 hours ago, decze said:

not 100% sure but afaik stock cooler is barely good for 5600x. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would be a good choice.

Which cooler does it come with?  The cooler that came with the 3600 non-X was hot steaming GARBAGE, but the X sku's get a better cooler I think?  I'd still expect it to suck, but it should be plenty adequate.  There's no need to overclock it anyways, the system will be GPU bottlenecked, not CPU. 

I'm not familiar with the case, but the Amazon pictures show it with a radiator mounted to the front, and yet the front is solid, and only gets a little air from the side.  Steve from GN would NOT approve. I'm sure it would run more than fine with that hardware, but still bothers me. 

For an air cooled rig I like to see 2 big fans in front with unrestricted (probably mesh) airflow.  Alternatively good top to bottom vertical airflow, but then you can spill coffee through the top of your computer. 

spacer.png

Seriously the airflow on that is questionable.  

Not an expert
Ryzen3600  | Aorus 5700XT  | Aorus B550 Elite 
Coolermaster ML240L AIO
G.Skill RipjawsV3600  | PNY XLR8 1TB NVMe 3.0
Westinghouse 3440x1440 ultrawide

2 hours ago, js5836 said:

PC PartPicker is not accurate, and honestly, I would just stick to what NVIDIA says, since PSU is one of the most important parts of the build, and its definetly something you should not skimp on.

Nvidea is concerned about cheap multi-rail PSU's.  Cheaper PSU's may be rated at 550w, but they can't actually support all 550w on a single rail.  That being the case, it makes sense for them to over-recommend by 200w or so.  

Not an expert
Ryzen3600  | Aorus 5700XT  | Aorus B550 Elite 
Coolermaster ML240L AIO
G.Skill RipjawsV3600  | PNY XLR8 1TB NVMe 3.0
Westinghouse 3440x1440 ultrawide