RAM Upgrade

Hello I have a laptop that needs a RAM Upgrade. 

The laptop I have is:

HP 15s-fq1505na

Intel Core i5 1035G1

Intel UHD Graphics G1

4GB (single channel) RAM

256GB SSD 

I have learnt that the RAM is the biggest bottleneck here as there are many not so demanding games that can struggle to run. I would like to upgrade the RAM but I can't make up my mind if I want 2x4GB or 2x8GB. For some reason I feel like 2x8GB can be a bit overkill hence why I'm also thinking about 2x4GB. However I also feel like that 2x8GB can benefit me in the future.  The main thing I want to know is that will there be any differences in gaming.

The games I would like to play are: Minecraft, Genshin Impact, Valorant, GTA 5, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. These games I'm planning to get; but I may get some more games in the future. I will also be planing to upgrade the SSD as well to either 500GB or 1TB.  

Considering the negligible difference in cost, I’d just go for 16gb.

As well as I looked up the laptop, you might be able to just add on another ssd, says you have both an nvme slot and 2.5” bay

16gb of ram will make a lot more stuff playable, with 4gb on windows 10 you’d see performance loss in Minecraft even, GTA V would be out of the question almost entirely. You’d need 8gb bare minimum for all those but again, 16gb doesn’t cost much more anyway

11 minutes ago, TH3N00BK1N9 said:

Hello I have a laptop that needs a RAM Upgrade. 

The laptop I have is:

HP 15s-fq1505na

Intel Core i5 1035G1

Intel UHD Graphics G1

4GB (single channel) RAM

256GB SSD 

I have learnt that the RAM is the biggest bottleneck here as there are many not so demanding games that can struggle to run. I would like to upgrade the RAM but I can't make up my mind if I want 2x4GB or 2x8GB. For some reason I feel like 2x8GB can be a bit overkill hence why I'm also thinking about 2x4GB. However I also feel like that 2x8GB can benefit me in the future.  The main thing I want to know is that will there be any differences in gaming.

The games I would like to play are: Minecraft, Genshin Impact, Valorant, GTA 5, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. These games I'm planning to get; but I may get some more games in the future. I will also be planing to upgrade the SSD as well to either 500GB or 1TB.  

if you can afford the price difference then go for 16

11 minutes ago, TH3N00BK1N9 said:

The laptop I have is:

HP 15s-fq1505na

Intel Core i5 1035G1

Intel UHD Graphics G1

4GB (single channel) RAM

256GB SSD

I'd go with 2x8 since you're using iGPU, which also uses system RAM

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Get 2x8GB. No such thing as too much RAM. Also you Intel UHD Graphics G1 will be real limiting factor as well.

BTW the way, you may want to consider building a Desktop for gaming instead.

What will contribute the most to the performance increase isn’t necessarily the additional memory, but the fact that you would be going from a single to a double channel memory configuration. 

But yes, the price difference between 8 GB and 16 GB of RAM should be worth it. I would go with a 2x8 GB kit.