Dual Monitor Issues; cannot run both monitors at the maximum resolution or refresh rate

CCPC

I been having trouble with my dual monitor set up, I have been looking and searching for the a couple of weeks attempting many solution and none of them work. 

I have 2 monitors, one is Asus 27inch VP28U 4k at 60Hz and the other one is Viotek 32inch GN32DA  QuadHD at 144Hz (A 32-inch Quad-HD 144Hz curved gaming monitor with FreeSync. Whether you binge or battle, the Viotek GN32DA delivers game-winning performance in a cinema-quality display.). I do not have a desktop because I have a very mobile person and I do not play much games on my machine. I have a Lenovo x1 yoga generation 5 (it has intel(r) UHD graphics). As such I have a docking system that has (2) 1.4 DisplayPort among other connections. The docking is system is ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station (Shop the ThinkPad Pro Docking Station ASP | Part Number: 40AH0135US | Lenovo Canada). 

The issue is that I cannot run both monitors at the most optimal refresh rate; and sometimes resolution. When I have both connected I am limited to: 

On the Asus - 4k at 30Hz

and 

On the Viotek - QuadHD (2560x1440p) 60Hz

At first I thought I just had to change some settings or something like that, but that is no the case.  I have already been to the advanced display settings and also to Display adapters properties, it does not show me any other refresh rate (excluding very close to the current value, Ex 59.951Hz or 60.011Hz). I have also checked the different modes and it as well does not show any different result other than lowering the quality to change the refresh rate. I have also checked my drivers and tried to update them, they were no update to my computer as well.

I looked at the (2) DisplayPort cable connected to the monitor and they are both 1.2.

The weird thing, at least I think so (it might be an indicator of something but I am not too sure), when I only connect a single monitor with the same cable I able to use the the maximum resolution and refresh rate, it gives me the option in Display adapter properties. For example, if I only connect the Viotek I can put it at 2560x1440p at 144Hz and as well vise versa when I only connect the Asus I can put it at 4k 60Hz. I honestly not sure what to do at this point, I am not sure if there is a specific name for this issue that I could search up. I could maybe get a 1.4 DisplayPort cable but not sure if that will fix my problem; plus I would rather not spend the money if I do not have too. 

I appreciate any help, Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I know this is quite old, but I have the exact same issue and I can’t find a solution anywhere.

Did you ever figure out what was going on or how to fix it?