5900x low clock speed on new build

PampaZiya

Hello, so I built my new computer with a 5900x and the motherboard is the Asus x570 pro csm and 3600mhz CL16.

I have the latest bios for that motherboard from Asus's website and I downloaded the x570 chipset drivers from the amd website.

I come from intel so I usually used AI suite to change the clock speeds.

Without doing anything, the 5900x runs at 4.2Ghz, any attempt to overclock over that on Ryzen Master or Ai Suite 3 will result in a crash, max I could do that was somewhat stable and was able to run cinabench r20 was 4.4Ghz and got score of 8400~ multi core and 560 single core at 4.2Ghz.

I have D.O.C.P enabled and precision boost overdrive set to enabled as well.

Using Ryzen Master, I tried to set a profile to precision boost overdrive but that also only boosts to 4.2Ghz and idles at 3.7Ghz.

I'm new to AMD so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do.

I also tried the Ez tuning in Asus motherboard and it didn't change anything at all. 

Any help is appreciated thank you!

When you adjust the clock speed, what voltage did you set?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

When you adjust the clock speed, what voltage did you set?

I first tried 1.35, didn't work and then set 1.5 and it also didn't work, the computer crashes as I hit the apply button in Ryzen master

2 minutes ago, PampaZiya said:

I first tried 1.35, didn't work and then set 1.5 and it also didn't work, the computer crashes as I hit the apply button in Ryzen master

you tried... 1.5v...? jesus christ

hope you didnt damage anything

try 1.2v at 4000mhz all core, and slowly move up your core clocks

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Sorry i meant 1.1, I just initially googled what it should be and found 1.35 somewhere so I tried that and when it didn't work i put it back to what it was before which was 1.1. typo :/

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Also how do i choose if it's single core boost or all core boost in ryzen master?

3 minutes ago, PampaZiya said:

Sorry i meant 1.1, I just initially googled what it should be and found 1.35 somewhere so I tried that and when it didn't work i put it back to what it was before which was 1.1. typo :/

1.1v is pretty low, I'm not sure how zen3 fairs but my 3900x could do about 3800-4000 mhz on 1.1v, I have one bad ccd

You can try starting from 3800, if you wish to stay at 1.1v

1 minute ago, PampaZiya said:

Also how do i choose if it's single core boost or all core boost in ryzen master?

You can't boost if you manually tune clock speeds, you lose boosting feature so your single threaded performance may drop a little

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

1.1v is pretty low, I'm not sure how zen3 fairs but my 3900x could do about 3800-4000 mhz on 1.1v, I have one bad ccd

You can try starting from 3800, if you wish to stay at 1.1v

You can't boost if you manually tune clock speeds, you lose boosting feature so your single threaded performance may drop a little

I see, actually I just downloaded the latest "beta" version of the x570 and then tried to run PBO again from bios, now it clocks up to 4.5Ghz, running cinabench I got 8442 on multi core and 593 on single core, still feel like the single core could be better, should I just leave as is or is there anything in Ryzen Master using PBO that I can do for single core performance?

Edit: Ryzen master is on default, only thing I changed was bios version and pbo in bios.

Tbh, turning on pbo is probably the best option if you want to preserve single core performance

Not that... I see my 3900x boost single core in games, because games I play uses all threads and this limits me to all core boosts

There's an overclocking tool for ryzens that overclock your CPU and still keeps the boost, it's made by 1usmus, but I'm not sure if it supports ryzen 5000 series

But honestly, pbo is good enough

594 is good single core performance, since I think most CPU would get about 500-530?

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Tbh, turning on pbo is probably the best option if you want to preserve single core performance

Not that... I see my 3900x boost single core in games, because games I play uses all threads and this limits me to all core boosts

There's an overclocking tool for ryzens that overclock your CPU and still keeps the boost, it's made by 1usmus, but I'm not sure if it supports ryzen 5000 series

But honestly, pbo is good enough

594 is good single core performance, since I think most CPU would get about 500-530?

Yeah good point, I think I'll leave it as is for now since running cinabench again on single core hit 601 which is pretty respectable considering it barely went above 70c.

Thank you so much ^^