pc not posting

xkillua
Go to solution Solved by xkillua,
11 hours ago, Convictions said:

You lined up the mark on your cpu with the mark on your mobo when putting it in, right? 

yes. it turns out there is one singular bent pin, so it turns out that the cpu was the problem.

luckily because of amazon's holiday return period extension, even though i bought it in november, i can still return/request a replacement until the end of january. i'm gonna do that and let everyone know how it goes!

yesterday i started to rebuild my new pc. everything went well, tested the power and it was a-okay. all i had left was to install my hard drive, and connect my aio cables, and install a couple more fans. today comes, i do that, and the pc doesn’t start. fans don’t come on. no status leds. i feel around my board a bit, and burn myself on my super io chip. i do some googling, and it turns out that’s a sign it’s shot and i need a whole new board. is this true?? how did this happen?? do i actually have to get a new board or is there a different solution?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.98 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($249.33 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($162.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB Video Card  ($396.25 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($108.78 @ Other World Computing) 
Total: $1562.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-30 16:57 EST-0500

Edited by advewave
modified title

That super I/O chip probably controls the fans. Maybe it's overloaded or one of the fans has an internal short.

Just because it got hot to the touch, doesn't really mean it blew up (but the possibility is real)

Anything past about 120F (about 48c) will feel super hot, but could only be 55c but below the I/O chp overheat threshold. 

Remove everything except the bare essentials to see if you can get the board to post. I would clear the cmos one good time for safe measure, but definitely remove all except the cpu fan and cross your fingers it posts. 

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That super I/O chip probably controls the fans. Maybe it's overloaded or one of the fans has an internal short.

Just because it got hot to the touch, doesn't really mean it blew up (but the possibility is real)

Anything past about 120F (about 48c) will feel super hot, but could only be 55c but below the I/O chp overheat threshold. 

Remove everything except the bare essentials to see if you can get the board to post. I would clear the cmos one good time for safe measure, but definitely remove all except the cpu fan and cross your fingers it posts. 

i’ve tried removing everything except the essentials. i’ll attempt to clear the cmos and i’m not sure if i removed the chasis fans. i don’t have a cpu cooler, only an aio pump. is that okay or should i swap it out for a fan?

2 minutes ago, advewave said:

i’ve tried removing everything except the essentials. i’ll attempt to clear the cmos and i’m not sure if i removed the chasis fans. i don’t have a cpu cooler, only an aio pump. is that okay or should i swap it out for a fan?

You have to run the pump if it's mounted on the Cpu. The alternative would be to mount the stock cooler and use that fan on the Cpu header. For all we know, the pump could be the issue. I wouldn't trust the PC powered on without the pump running for more than 120 seconds though. 

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You have to run the pump if it's mounted on the Cpu. The alternative would be to mount the stock cooler and use that fan on the Cpu header. For all we know, the pump could be the issue. I wouldn't trust the PC powered on without the pump running for more than 120 seconds though. 

okay. i’ll try with the cooler and with a fan. 

1 hour ago, brian105 said:

It sounds like there's a short near or in the SuperIO chip.

that’s what i initially thought. would that mean the whole motherboard is shot and i have to buy a new one?

hi everyone, it’s me again! 

turns out i had a second motherboard because i thought that it had gotten lost in the mail and i ordered another. but it came and i installed it, and it’s still not posting. my ram and its lights turn on, as well as the aio for a quick second when it gets powered. would this be my cpu? maybe my power supply is too weak?

48 minutes ago, advewave said:

hi everyone, it’s me again! 

Snip

would this be my cpu? maybe my power supply is too weak?

It could be either. Do you have another to test with? Either cpu or PSU? 

44 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It could be either. Do you have another to test with? Either cpu or PSU? 

i have another cpu i can test with later this week. psu is a no go but i was already planning to buy a new one. 

update - i just used a power calculator and i shouldn’t be having psu issues. ill grab my other cpu and make another post when i test. 

Edited by advewave
update

Have you already tried re-seating your CPU and RAM, and checked all the power cables coming from your PSU, both at the PSU and mobo ends?

28 minutes ago, Convictions said:

Have you already tried re-seating your CPU and RAM, and checked all the power cables coming from your PSU, both at the PSU and mobo ends?

i have, but i just remembered. everytime i’ve taken my cooler off my cpu, the cpu comes with it. maybe my cpu isn’t going all the way in? 🤔 

I don't think "not going all the way in" should be an issue. Either the pins are lined up with the holes in your mobo or they aren't. You could check to make sure there aren't any bent pins on your CPU though. I'm wondering if maybe you're using too much thermal paste (to cause the sticking), but that shouldn't cause the issues you're seeing.

1 hour ago, advewave said:

i have, but i just remembered. everytime i’ve taken my cooler off my cpu, the cpu comes with it. maybe my cpu isn’t going all the way in? 🤔 

When you remove the cooler, twist/turn it to break the bond of the thermal paste before you pull it straight out. 

And I dont always believe a PSU calculator and also I do not always trust the specs of the PSU. Food for thought.

Good to hear you have another cpu. That will help diagnostics!

2 hours ago, Convictions said:

I don't think "not going all the way in" should be an issue. Either the pins are lined up with the holes in your mobo or they aren't. You could check to make sure there aren't any bent pins on your CPU though. I'm wondering if maybe you're using too much thermal paste (to cause the sticking), but that shouldn't cause the issues you're seeing.

i dont know. the cpu doesn’t really snap all the way in, and the socket makes a weird noise when locking. granted that could be a mobo defect. ill test with my current and old boards. 

When you remove the cooler, twist/turn it to break the bond of the thermal paste before you pull it straight out. 

And I dont always believe a PSU calculator and also I do not always trust the specs of the PSU. Food for thought.

Good to hear you have another cpu. That will help diagnostics!

i see what you mean. ive been looking at psus so i might just get one and test it out

Just now, advewave said:

i dont know. the cpu doesn’t really snap all the way in, and the socket makes a weird noise when locking. granted that could be a mobo defect. ill test with my current and old boards. 

i see what you mean. ive been looking at psus so i might just get one and test it out

Yeah, I wouldn't bank much trust on the Cooler master PSU frankly. Would have been my first guess, but some of the wording kinda throws off the thought. 

Yes, "should" be enough. No quality isn't there. Kind of an odd wattage = 475w. Reliably under load maybe half that. I dunno.

Please look at the PSU tier list below.  This will help you tremendously.

_____

@ Cpu snaps in makes a weird noise

It should click like. If there's grinding or crunching sounds rather than what sounds line a single click, that's not good.

Check the cpu closely for bent pins. Hold the cpu pins up to a light and look down each row of pins.

PSU tier list.

@ Cpu snaps in makes a weird noise

It should click like. If there's grinding or crunching sounds rather than what sounds line a single click, that's not good.

Check the cpu closely for bent pins. Hold the cpu pins up to a light and look down each row of pins.

yeah it doesn’t fit in the motherboard that it was in before anymore. i checked for bent pins a couple of times and i didn’t see anything. ill take some pictures tomorrow. and it did kind of sound like grinding. 

im looking into psus and i’ll probably end up purchasing one tomorrow

12 hours ago, advewave said:

yeah it doesn’t fit in the motherboard that it was in before anymore. i checked for bent pins a couple of times and i didn’t see anything. ill take some pictures tomorrow. and it did kind of sound like grinding. 

im looking into psus and i’ll probably end up purchasing one tomorrow

You lined up the mark on your cpu with the mark on your mobo when putting it in, right? 

11 hours ago, Convictions said:

yes. it turns out there is one singular bent pin, so it turns out that the cpu was the problem.

luckily because of amazon's holiday return period extension, even though i bought it in november, i can still return/request a replacement until the end of january. i'm gonna do that and let everyone know how it goes!