PC won't power up after "new" GPU...

TyZed

Made an account just for this. Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Back when Haswell was released, we got a new PC with no GPU. Later on we got a Sapphire R9 280 3GB DUAL-X to game on it. Weeeeell it's still in use now and I actually got my hands on a "mined to death" XFX RX 580 GTS 8GB to try and revive. I know how a dead card behaves, so I wanted to try installing it in my PC to see what to do later.

There's an LED above the 8-pin connector which glows red when no 8-pin power is inserted, and blue when everything is working as expected (found that out in the manual). Whenever I plug in the 8-pin into the 580 and turn the PC on, the LED on the 580 blinks red for a split second, making the same sound a power cycle makes, and then nothing happens. No post screen, no fans running in the PC, no peripherals running. As if the PC had no power. My suspicion is on the PSU, which I will explain how after I state my specs:

CPU: i5-4460,

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B85M-DS3H,

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz,

Storage: 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 320GB,

PSU: An included Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR-I3

Now the power supply only has 1x 6-pin connector on the 12V rail, and the other 12V has three Molex daisy-chained. I run the R9 280 by plugging in the 1x 6-pin and using a molex to 6-pin for the other 6-pin. It works fine. For the 580, I had to get a 2x 6-pin to 8-pin which in theory should work. And afaik, the 580 has a lower TDP than the 280. I don't understand why that could be an issue. Also both 12V rails have 20A support so that should be fine too.

Weird problem, so any kind of help is fine. Sorry for the long post and no formatting.

23 minutes ago, TyZed said:

RX 580 GTS

This may shed some light for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7lauxr/rx_580_with_legacy_boot_partition/

If you are using your system in Legacy mode (not UEFI) the card won't work.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 12/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, Radium_Angel said:

This may shed some light for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7lauxr/rx_580_with_legacy_boot_partition/

If you are using your system in Legacy mode (not UEFI) the card won't work.

Very interesting. Although, I'm pretty sure that I am using UEFI. Also, shouldn't the PC at least post before it attempts to boot into a UEFI installation of Windows?

33 minutes ago, TyZed said:

Very interesting. Although, I'm pretty sure that I am using UEFI. Also, shouldn't the PC at least post before it attempts to boot into a UEFI installation of Windows?

My limited experience with AMD cards in a UEFI BIOS, is if it doesn't detect the UEFI BIOS, then it won't post, period.

Very irritating.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 1/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Radium_Angel said:

My limited experience with AMD cards in a UEFI BIOS, is if it doesn't detect the UEFI BIOS, then it won't post, period.

Very irritating.

I confirmed that my BIOS was in UEFI mode, and set some more BIOS settings to only enable UEFI mode in all the devices. No dice. The GPU still doesn't work. Tried switching the GPU BIOS too (it was on the "mining" mode since I got it) but that didn't do anything.