NH-D15 different size fans + y-connector gives CPU Fan Error

silverf0x

I replaced the front fan of my NH-D15 with a NH-A12x25 FLX (obviously, to clear the RAM) and connected both the original fan and this one on the CPU_FAN using the y-connector but I get a CPU Fan Error. I've tried lowering the threshold to 200rpm, same error. I also tried the various DC-MODE/PWM/Auto settings in my X570-P's BIOS but I always get the same error.

Both fans are turning but I can't get the RPM so that's annoying.

Should I have used something else than a A12x25 ?
Should I plug them individually instead of using the y-connector?

Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_0153[1].jpg

When using y-connector, use the same fans

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If I was to plug them separately; Say the big one in CPU_FAN and the A12x25 in CHA_FAN2. Do I absolutely have to have them run the same RPM? If not, what's the best scenario?:
1) Small faster // Big slower
2) Small slower // Big Faster

1 minute ago, silverf0x said:

If I was to plug them separately; Say the big one in CPU_FAN and the A12x25 in CHA_FAN2. Do I absolutely have to have them run the same RPM? If not, what's the best scenario?:
1) Small faster // Big slower
2) Small slower // Big Faster

The one in CHA_FAN2 would act as a case fan. So it would probably not take the temp readings from CPU, but somewhere close to the VRM's or Chipset.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Unfortunately, this MB doesnt have a CPU_OPT (or CPU_FAN2) connector of any sort. Only one CPU_FAN and 3 chassis fan plus AIO of course.

I have the ability to base the speed of the CHA fans on CPU Temp. Not sure if it would be as accurate as the one the CPU_FAN would use tho?

Do you get an error with Y-cable and just one fan? Does the y-splitter send the rpm from both fans to the mobo so that it doesnt know at what speed they spin?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

2 hours ago, silverf0x said:

I replaced the front fan of my NH-D15 with a NH-A12x25 FLX (obviously, to clear the RAM) and connected both the original fan and this one on the CPU_FAN using the y-connector but I get a CPU Fan Error. I've tried lowering the threshold to 200rpm, same error. I also tried the various DC-MODE/PWM/Auto settings in my X570-P's BIOS but I always get the same error.

Both fans are turning but I can't get the RPM so that's annoying.

Should I have used something else than a A12x25 ?
Should I plug them individually instead of using the y-connector?

Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_0153[1].jpg

You will get a CPU Fan error if the RPM sensing for that cable is screwed.  These things happen when using fan adapters.  Either use the exact same fan next time, or disable CPU fan monitoring in your bios (set it to ignore on an Asus bios).

Have you tried using the LNA's (Low Noise Adapters)? They have helped me in the past.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...