VRAM usage/allocation in Gamea

Big-Boy

I know that this question has been asked before. But is the 10GB of vram on the 3080 will be enough for the next 4-6 years at 1440p/2160p 120hz+ high settings? I am getting mixed opinions. Some say it's not enough and some it's overkill. What is your opinion and why?. Personally I've seen many games allocate the whole 10GB but I don't know about actual usage.

You can (depending on hardware) show the actual Dedicated Usage as well as Allocated Usage
MSI Afterburner has these 3 dots for data providing, go in here if allowed and choose GPU,.. and then enable the Dedicated VRAM one.

Untitled.png

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You can (depending on hardware) show the actual Dedicated Usage as well as Allocated Usage
MSI Afterburner has these 3 dots for data providing, go in here if allowed and choose GPU,.. and then enable the Dedicated VRAM one.

Untitled.png

Thank you for the information. I didn't know you could do that. But I currently don't have an RTX 3080 to test it.

1 hour ago, Big-Boy said:

Thank you for the information. I didn't know you could do that. But I currently don't have an RTX 3080 to test it.

For what it's worth MONSTER HUNTER WORLD is using ~7.5GB at 1440p, Vsync on, *low settings*, high resolution textures... 

Even though in game it says only 6.5GB...  (and yes the 1070 can not run it at 60fps, it has the VRAM, but it's just too weak otherwise, GPU at 100% constantly basically) 

TLDR: it really depends on the game and resolution / textures / settings... 

10 GB should be fine next couple of years but don't expect to max out all games with that little of VRAM... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity