Controlling Fans Connected to Fan Hub

captaindb
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
5 hours ago, captaindb said:

My motherboard is B450M PRO M2-V2 and the hub is https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/4000470374118.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.53184c4d9Cd4TZ  . Yes the bottom connector is connected to SYS_FAN header but I cant control them using dc mode. if I cant control them why do I even connect the hub to the SYS_FAN header? if they are running on full power wouldn't just SATA do the trick? I will try connecting them in order tomorrow. The product page of the hub is really unreliable so I dont know if you could find any solid information I mean some of the photos are from different products...

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/pc-fan-hub

This is the same hub. Sadly it really is for PWM fans, and doesn't support controlling DC fans. The cable going to mobo is only for rpm monitoring and PWM signal.

The hub that apparently would support controls is this http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

Though I really recommend using 3-way splitters instead https://m.tr.aliexpress.com/item/4000227690247.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.3987e62esH5hhH&browser_id=ef1f869d2d2145ecabba8ae6a7abeb52&aff_trace_key=18281a8b1d3c4c9b913005f7b6dbe43e-1606111930840-06478-_d8O2mSk&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=sj4yflk7dricavvm176a7d3348712edbbe5110a000&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com%2Fkf%2FH25a54213de3b4a93ba8595336636aa75N.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg

With those you don't need to worry whether they are PWM or 3pin, only if you are are mixing fans and would like to use PWM for one of the fans. So for your situation, CPU fan probably would be PWM. Connecting case fans to same hub would either mean that 3pins run at full speed, or CPU fan is also controlled with DC.

I recently purchased the fan hub in the photo.(sorry for the dust) I connected it and I cant control them using dc mode. My motherboard only has one sys_fan1 port so 3 of my case fans are directly connected to my power supply so they spin at full speed and make a lot of noise. I tought a fan hub would do the trick but like I said I cant control the fans on the fan hub. I can see their rpm.    

8abd5db7-e554-4a8f-a2ea-5414438084f0.jfif

33 minutes ago, captaindb said:

I recently purchased the fan hub in the photo.(sorry for the dust) I connected it and I cant control them using dc mode. My motherboard only has one sys_fan1 port so 3 of my case fans are directly connected to my power supply so they spin at full speed and make a lot of noise. I tought a fan hub would do the trick but like I said I cant control the fans on the fan hub. I can see their rpm.    

8abd5db7-e554-4a8f-a2ea-5414438084f0.jfif 117.48 kB · 3 downloads

Usually you need to connect the fan hub to a pwm controlled header on the motherboard. There should be a single port that does that. Maybe that red one. Some hubs are just splitters with extra power. You may need to get another one that specifically mentions pwm signal splitting.

EDIT: Just noted your fans are 3 Pin only. Not PWM then, so just plain old voltage control. Not sure this works with a hub. A Potentiometer for 12v fans would work but you would have to turn a knob to adjust the fan speed.

What mobo and what fan hub you have? Also could you use image format that is better supported (jpg, gif, png).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Usually you need to connect the fan hub to a pwm controlled header on the motherboard. There should be a single port that does that. Maybe that red one. Some hubs are just splitters with extra power. You may need to get another one that specifically mentions pwm signal splitting.

EDIT: Just noted your fans are 3 Pin only. Not PWM then, so just plain old voltage control. Not sure this works with a hub. A Potentiometer for 12v fans would work but you would have to turn a knob to adjust the fan speed.

I see. Yes all my fans are 3 pin fans. I dont mind changing the fan speeds manually. I just want my pc to be quiet when I'm studying. Should I purchase one? Would it be hard to make a fan controller with my own potentiometers.

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What mobo and what fan hub you have? Also could you use image format that is better supported (jpg, gif, png).

Okay here's another format. I dont know what mobo means but my motherboard has a single fan port (sys_fan1) its a 4 pin port but I only have 3 pin fans. I dont know the name of my fan hub I got it from aliexpress.

fanhub.jpeg

17 minutes ago, captaindb said:

Okay here's another format. I dont know what mobo means but my motherboard has a single fan port (sys_fan1) its a 4 pin port but I only have 3 pin fans. I dont know the name of my fan hub I got it from aliexpress.

Mobo is short for motherboard. And if you wouldn't mind telling the actual model name. I can check manuals for further details much quicker that way. Also, if you are unsure, just link to product page, that helps too.

The hub there seems to have one header acting as main (marked red). Usually those hubs require you to fill them in order for all fans to be working properly. So from 1 to 8 in order. I would need to check hubs product page to see if its said there even. Anyway, red connector is the fan others will follow. Is the connector from bottom connected to SYS_FAN header? And that set to DC control from BIOS? If answer to those is yes, then you are out of luck with that hub.

The reason why is the way hubs/splitters work. For the most cheapest of them its just splitting and mirroring signal. Since it seems to be PWM hub, there's no extra controller which would be converting signal. So if the SATA is connected, its just gonna be full power regardless. Without SATA it might work, but then it depends on if there's actually connector going to mobo which would provide power to fans too. Overall, seems bad.

The way to do things with 3pin fans would be with 2x3-way splitters. One for CPU_FAN, the other for SYS_FAN. That would means CPU+5 fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Mobo is short for motherboard. And if you wouldn't mind telling the actual model name. I can check manuals for further details much quicker that way. Also, if you are unsure, just link to product page, that helps too.

The hub there seems to have one header acting as main (marked red). Usually those hubs require you to fill them in order for all fans to be working properly. So from 1 to 8 in order. I would need to check hubs product page to see if its said there even. Anyway, red connector is the fan others will follow. Is the connector from bottom connected to SYS_FAN header? And that set to DC control from BIOS? If answer to those is yes, then you are out of luck with that hub.

The reason why is the way hubs/splitters work. For the most cheapest of them its just splitting and mirroring signal. Since it seems to be PWM hub, there's no extra controller which would be converting signal. So if the SATA is connected, its just gonna be full power regardless. Without SATA it might work, but then it depends on if there's actually connector going to mobo which would provide power to fans too. Overall, seems bad.

The way to do things with 3pin fans would be with 2x3-way splitters. One for CPU_FAN, the other for SYS_FAN. That would means CPU+5 fans.

My motherboard is B450M PRO M2-V2 and the hub is https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/4000470374118.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.53184c4d9Cd4TZ  . Yes the bottom connector is connected to SYS_FAN header but I cant control them using dc mode. if I cant control them why do I even connect the hub to the SYS_FAN header? if they are running on full power wouldn't just SATA do the trick? I will try connecting them in order tomorrow. The product page of the hub is really unreliable so I dont know if you could find any solid information I mean some of the photos are from different products...

Edited by captaindb

5 hours ago, captaindb said:

This is the same hub. Sadly it really is for PWM fans, and doesn't support controlling DC fans. The cable going to mobo is only for rpm monitoring and PWM signal.

The hub that apparently would support controls is this http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

Though I really recommend using 3-way splitters instead https://m.tr.aliexpress.com/item/4000227690247.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.3987e62esH5hhH&browser_id=ef1f869d2d2145ecabba8ae6a7abeb52&aff_trace_key=18281a8b1d3c4c9b913005f7b6dbe43e-1606111930840-06478-_d8O2mSk&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=sj4yflk7dricavvm176a7d3348712edbbe5110a000&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com%2Fkf%2FH25a54213de3b4a93ba8595336636aa75N.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg

With those you don't need to worry whether they are PWM or 3pin, only if you are are mixing fans and would like to use PWM for one of the fans. So for your situation, CPU fan probably would be PWM. Connecting case fans to same hub would either mean that 3pins run at full speed, or CPU fan is also controlled with DC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

54 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thank you for your help. The phanteks one is pretty expensive so I think I'm gonna go with 3 way splitters.

33 minutes ago, captaindb said:

Thank you for your help. The phanteks one is pretty expensive so I think I'm gonna go with 3 way splitters.

Yeah, I would say best practice is to save some money for couple of PWM fans. That makes things so much easier in longer term (and with limited fan headers).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv