X570/B550 boards have problems with PCIe 4.0 GPUs and USB

If you have an X570/B550 board and a new PCIe 4.0 GPU like 3080 or 3090 you can come to some serious usb stuttering and even stability issues.

As I didn't see that topic on the forum till now I wanted to open this up for discussion 

Anyone else on here with this problem? r/amd has a good amount of people encountering the same problem and trying. to fix it.

For me the current solution is to set my GPU to pcie3 manually. I have tried contacting Asus about that but their support in my country is garbage so I am a bit dependend on this topic getting bigger.

Reddit posts regarding the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kevhze/caution_advised_when_buying_5000_seriesb550x570/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k8mtes/pcie_gen_4_causes_usb_problems_on_b550x570/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbr6zl/usb_issues_on_b550x570_motherboards/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k3jhxz/ahocbuildzoid_potential_fix_for_usb_20/

Just built a new system for my friend. 5800x on an Asus TUF B550. He's getting a "lite" version of the problem. Only happens a couple times a day, and only for a second at a time, no full on disconnects that trigger the windows "usb device removed" sound and prompt. Still extremely annoying and disappointing, had him swap his USB devices from front panel to back 2.0 to back 3.0 and 3.x, no major difference he could tell. Gonna have him try the PCI-e 3.0 downgrade fix or maybe just a USB pcie card. Hope Asus/AMD come up with a real fix that's just a bios flash.

between me and my friend we all have asus tuff gaming x570 or the wifi version (11 total) none of us have this issue.

some have 3000 some have 5000 series...8 have gen 4 m.2's rest gen 3's.

only 2 issues ive seen. one.. my sons (wifi version) the video changed source then locked up and died. (mobo bios died)

and the second (wifi version also) would not post after windows install (he didnt diagnose it he just got mobo exchanged)

i know 3 are running vr set ups and usbs are fine, no issues.

im actually curious about this issue. i'll have to ask people in a couple of discord channels that have built new systems if they see the usb issue

I've been fighting this issue for months now. It takes a specific combination to expose the issue. Unfortunately for me, that combination is part of my setup on two different PCs. Gigabyte X570 motherboard, 3900X CPU, 3000-series RTX GPU (one 3080, one 3090 -- different PCs), and recording/sharing my webcam+mic+screen (e.g., Microsoft Stream, Microsoft Teams, Camtasia). I get integrated audio chipset crackling, mouse stuttering, webcam glitching, and occasional USB resets. I have to run my X16 PCIe slot in Gen 3.0 (and all the problems go away).

My guess is that AMD will need to resolve this through AGESA and/or chipset driver updates.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, rehsd said:

I've been fighting this issue for months now. It takes a specific combination to expose the issue. Unfortunately for me, that combination is part of my setup on two different PCs. Gigabyte X570 motherboard, 3900X CPU, 3000-series RTX GPU (one 3080, one 3090 -- different PCs), and recording/sharing my webcam+mic+screen (e.g., Microsoft Stream, Microsoft Teams, Camtasia). I get integrated audio chipset crackling, mouse stuttering, webcam glitching, and occasional USB resets. I have to run my X16 PCIe slot in Gen 3.0 (and all the problems go away).

My guess is that AMD will need to resolve this through AGESA and/or chipset driver updates.

Asus Tuf x570 with 3950x and EVGA FTW3 3080. When using pcie gen4, when using Teams and starting to share screen, I have increasingly some weird noises in my Soundblaster X G6, then I lose sound (mic still works apparently). When using pcie gen3 I only occasionally lose my webcam. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very similar problem. Just built computer and USB worked fine. I don’t know what I changed but one day I plug in my usb headset in front 3.2 usb and Windows/discord will not receive mic and headset sound is crackly. I tried drivers and the second front USB, and even moved USB cable to adjacent header on motherboard with no change (usb headers 7-8 and 9-10). Then plugged in back USB 3.2 and worked. Have not solved front usb issue. 

Asrock x570 Extreme4, bios 1.6, Ryzen 9 3900x, Gigabyte Windforce Geforce 2079 super oc 3x, Windows 10, Samsung Evo 970 500gb m.2

Count me in. Kind of.
R9 5900x, x570 Aorus Xtreme, RTX 3080 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce WB.

Latest Win10, nvidia drivers 461 and bios F31.

When PCI mode set to auto or Gen4 the PC will take ages to post (sitting for long time on led codes 07 and 97) and boot windows, everything lags even 3d nvidia logo in control panel. Gpu memory bandwish test returns speed as 300mb/s.

And it works fine when Gen3 mode selected.

• 3 weeks later...

Same Issue.
When I hit screenshare in Discord it triggers the USB disconnect sound and my RGB goes off and on again, mouse also stops tracking briefly.

I can successfully reproduce this with Discord screenshare on the fly.
This happens in some games also at random. Very frustrating and im worried that this will damage my hardware or mess with my AIO's pump for cooling.

MSI B550 Tomahawk

BIOS Version

7C91vA4

Release Date

2020-11-04

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3070
GSKILL 2x8GB F4-3200C16 Dual Channel - XMP2
Corsair Commander Pro - 5x ML120 RGB
Corsair H100i AIO
Corsair HX650w Pro Series

I see theres a new BIOS release and its no longer labeled BETA
image.png.39ea51136a0c91170c2a2b399c4e4ff3.png

Im Gonna try this, fingers crossed!

EDIT:
Ok so BIOS updated, no change, C State Disabled, no change, PCI GEN set to GEN3, problem solved. O.o OK... Gee Thanks, GEN4 is Broken, nice.
Edited by ShadowRaxx
Solution Found.

Does this only apply to GPU being PCIE 4.0, or does it also effect having a Gen 4 NVMe SSD as well?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 3 weeks later...