Temperature questions: I'm playing Cyberpunk with High settings and Medium RTX, forgot to turn on DLSS and my i7 10700k got up to 87C.

Yakibu
Go to solution Solved by Yebi,

It is technically safe, as in it's not going to be killed by that. It is high though, meaning it's gonna run slower than it could. Looking at the long-term, the lifespan could be affected by high temperatures, but that's more of a theoretical thing rather than something you should actually worry about.

I doubt it has much to do with DLSS, or other GPU settings for that matter

What kind of cooler, case, and case fan configuration do you have? When was the last time you cleaned the CPU heatsink?

Is this too hot for CPU temperature? (My CPU is working around 80-89%)

What is the limit for safe temperature?

I saw some info on google that: 75-80C is the optimal gaming temperature. Does this mean my CPU is damaged at 87C?

Will this temperature affect my CPU lifespan?

Thank you in advance.

It is technically safe, as in it's not going to be killed by that. It is high though, meaning it's gonna run slower than it could. Looking at the long-term, the lifespan could be affected by high temperatures, but that's more of a theoretical thing rather than something you should actually worry about.

What kind of cooler, case, and case fan configuration do you have? When was the last time you cleaned the CPU heatsink?

disable Ai overclocking in your BIOS. The manufacturers automatic overclocking tools tend to use way too much Voltage for a mild oc, thats probably why your cpu gets so hot. at least on z490 boards they are notorious for doing that

38 minutes ago, Yebi said:

my case is CoolerMaster MasterBox 5, case fan I just dunno about that uh 3 120mm fans front and 1 120mm fans back? my CPU cooler is MA610P. I just bought CPU and Motherboard last week...

18 minutes ago, MrSauber said:

disable Ai overclocking in your BIOS. The manufacturers automatic overclocking tools tend to use way too much Voltage for a mild oc, thats probably why your cpu gets so hot. at least on z490 boards they are notorious for doing that

I don't even know what BIOS is...

1 hour ago, Yakibu said:

my CPU cooler is MA610P. I just bought CPU and Motherboard last week...

Did you install the cooler yourself? If yes, are all the screws tightened well, and are you sure you didn't forget thermal paste?

6 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Did you install the cooler yourself? If yes, are all the screws tightened well, and are you sure you didn't forget thermal paste?

No the store where I bought it installed it. And they did apply everything thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, Yakibu said:

No the store where I bought it installed it. And they did apply everything thoroughly.

Ok. I've looked at a couple reviews, and while the cooler is good, it's not amazing thermally, and the 10700K can definitely get toasty. It's looking more and more likely that MrSauber's idea is the right one. If you're completely unfamiliar with BIOS, you'd probably need someone with the same brand and generation of motherbaord to walk you through it, or... you could just leave it as is. It's honestly not that big of a deal, and if you're not the sort to enjoy tinkering with your system, it might not be worth the effort

4 hours ago, Yebi said:

Ok. I've looked at a couple reviews, and while the cooler is good, it's not amazing thermally, and the 10700K can definitely get toasty. It's looking more and more likely that MrSauber's idea is the right one. If you're completely unfamiliar with BIOS, you'd probably need someone with the same brand and generation of motherbaord to walk you through it, or... you could just leave it as is. It's honestly not that big of a deal, and if you're not the sort to enjoy tinkering with your system, it might not be worth the effort

it would be nice to know what mobo he has

1 minute ago, MrSauber said:

it would be nice to know what mobo he has

Z490 AORUS Elite

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Z490 AORUS Elite

hmmm i the only gigabyte i owned was the Z97 and that one didnt have , many of the newer fancy features, but there must be some auto overclocking feature he could try disabling in the BIOS

8 minutes ago, MrSauber said:

hmmm i the only gigabyte i owned was the Z97 and that one didnt have , many of the newer fancy features, but there must be some auto overclocking feature he could try disabling in the BIOS

For what? OP reported only 87c. The cpu has a throttle temp of 100c.