GPU underutilized with no obvious bottlenecks

Hi, I'm experiencing a very weird issue with my preowned GTX Titan X Pascal. It's showing symptoms of having a bottleneck, since in games like BF1 and other more demanding games, the framerate seems to remain around the same value no matter the settings (varies from game to game). If, for example, I turn the settings up to ultra in BF1, I'll get around 95 to 99 percent usage, but if i turn it all the way down (and 50% resolution scaling) I get the same framerate but just much lower GPU usage.

I know this is a sign of a bottleneck, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it would be. My specs are:

GPU: GTX Titan X (Pascal)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: 16gb of DDR4 at 3200MHz

PSU: 750w

In most games, the CPU usage doesn't really ever go above 50% (though certain cores do sometimes hop up to the 90'ies, but only ever for a few moments)

At first I thought it might've been the CPU thermal throttling since it was running really hot, even when idling, but I've since gotten a Noctua NH-D15 and my temps are wonderfully cool, whilst the issue persists.

I've tried so many things besides looking for the potential bottleneck, like reinstalling drivers, rolling back drivers, re-seating the GPU, reinstalling windows, turned G-Sync off, and nothing has worked.

I also think it's worth noting that in a game like Minecraft, I'll get between 60-30fps with GPU utilization at 15% or less.

Thank you in advance for any help you might give me :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I doubt the GPU is thermal throttling, since it's showing this behavior no matter the temperature. I get max 84 degrees when using it but that's only when the GPU is actually being fully used.

but if i turn it all the way down (and 50% resolution scaling) I get the same framerate but just much lower GPU usage.

This makes sense since it's probably not enough to properly tax the card.

How many frames are you getting?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

22 minutes ago, Noose02 said:

I also think it's worth noting that in a game like Minecraft, I'll get between 60-30fps with GPU utilization at 15% or less.

GPU utilization should be super low in minecraft, regardless.

23 minutes ago, Noose02 said:

In most games, the CPU usage doesn't really ever go above 50% (though certain cores do sometimes hop up to the 90'ies, but only ever for a few moments)

Sounds like some software issues. Might be a GPU driver thing, but you could also try going to your motherboard's webpage and downloading fresh chipset drivers.

24 minutes ago, Noose02 said:

Forgot to mention that I doubt the GPU is thermal throttling, since it's showing this behavior no matter the temperature. I get max 84 degrees when using it but that's only when the GPU is actually being fully used.

84 degrees is quite normal for these FE titans, but make sure your GPU frequency is not super low.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This makes sense since it's probably not enough to properly tax the card.

How many frames are you getting?

about 80-100 fps in BF1, which again seems to vary not so much on what is going on but rather how much the gpu is used. It's also bellow the framerate limit at 200fps, so I know it's not that.