GPU fans not spinning is BAD?

daddrian

So I got a GTX 960 from Gigabyte G1 Gaming, This card's fans do not spin until the temperature hits 50*C, and I think this is worse than having the fans on all the time. Let's say I play a game for a hour, then I go on youtube,  then play a game for a hour, then go on the internet, then play a game again, and then going on facebook - I think the fans constantly switching on and off can hurt their longevity more than having them run all the time. I think one day the on/off mechanism will break and one of the fans will just not start.

5 minutes ago, Adrian98765 said:

I think one day the on/off mechanism will break

There's no mechanical part involved in switching it on so there's no worries there

If anything, the fan bearing might break from the on and off, but the wear of having it constantly turn is worse, I would think

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

This is normal and what they are designed to do.

The GPU itself will probably die before the fans do.

I've had a fan bearing die within warranty (2 years or so)

Might just be unlucky, though

Never happened with any other of my GPU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

• 3 weeks later...

I'm some months late but I just found this neat thing in MSI Afterburner , lol! In settings, there is a "Fan" tab, and I can enable user fan control! From there I can set what fan speed to be on what temp! I set fans to 10% when the temp range is between 0 - 40*C, now I'm not worrying about fans turning on and off a lot, they are always running at low speed. Lol didn't knew about this feature!

I wouldn't worry about them breaking, as someone has already pointed out, the fans will be the last thing to die!

Only reason I'd suggest to have fans running all the time is to prevent that jarring increase in noise when you get in to a game or possibly just to increase airflow generally in the case.