Ram upgrade, boot issue

So I got 4x8gb 1333mhz ddr3, I know my mobo doesn't support quad channel. But when I try quad channel I can get into bios and it recognises all the ram, but it doesn't boot into windows. When I try dual channel, no matter whether I go a1b1 or a2b2 I can't get into bios or boot at all. The old dimms work fine in either config. What's the issue?

4 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

So I got 4x8gb 1333mhz ddr3, I know my mobo doesn't support quad channel. But when I try quad channel I can get into bios and it recognises all the ram, but it doesn't boot into windows. When I try dual channel, no matter whether I go a1b1 or a2b2 I can't get into bios or boot at all. The old dimms work fine in either config. What's the issue?

Try cmos reset after adding the memory with the system turned off. Check the manual of you motherboard, some have issues if your memory is dual ranked vs single ranked. Also there may be a compatibility option sometimes that you can activate to stabilize the memory controller. What board and what cpu do you have, what's the model of the ram you are trying to use?

Just now, Applefreak said:

Try cmos reset after adding the memory with the system turned off. Check the manual of you motherboard, some have issues if your memory is dual ranked vs single ranked. Also there may be a compatibility option sometimes that you can activate to stabilize the memory controller. What board and what cpu do you have, what's the model of the ram you are trying to use?

What is dual ranked vs single ranked?

i have an i7-4790 with an msi b85-g43 non gaming. The upgrade kit is aftermiter brand pc3-10600-cl9. The other kit I have is the original 2x4 kit that came with the cpu when it was a lenovo prebuilt, I've changed pretty much everything except the ram and cpu. I'll try CMOS reset now

11 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

What is dual ranked vs single ranked?

i have an i7-4790 with an msi b85-g43 non gaming. The upgrade kit is aftermiter brand pc3-10600-cl9. The other kit I have is the original 2x4 kit that came with the cpu when it was a lenovo prebuilt, I've changed pretty much everything except the ram and cpu. I'll try CMOS reset now

Cmos reset didn't work in a2b2, gonna try a1b1 now

4 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

Cmos reset didn't work in a2b2, gonna try a1b1 now

I got into bios, still no windows booy tho

Have you tried booting into something like a Windows install drive. If the system is posting and all the memory is detected, there's a good chance that maybe your windows install is just corrupted. Booting into another type of install, like Linux or the Windows install drive would allow you to confirm that.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Have you tried booting into something like a Windows install drive. If the system is posting and all the memory is detected, there's a good chance that maybe your windows install is just corrupted. Booting into another type of install, like Linux or the Windows install drive would allow you to confirm that.

It booted into windows with the old set of ram just fine so I kinda doubt that's it but I'll try

13 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

It booted into windows with the old set of ram just fine so I kinda doubt that's it but I'll try

System thread exception not handled, doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

One more thing and I hope this does not apply to your predicament but Thinkpads are particular picky about DDR3 modules. There is a list of known modules in bios and if they do not match it won't boot. Maybe see if there is a bios update for your system, I am guessing you have an H50 desktop series. There should be updates available on the Lenovo support page. Other things you can try is to run the memory without xmp. 

11 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

One more thing and I hope this does not apply to your predicament but Thinkpads are particular picky about DDR3 modules. There is a list of known modules in bios and if they do not match it won't boot. Maybe see if there is a bios update for your system, I am guessing you have an H50 desktop series. There should be updates available on the Lenovo support page. Other things you can try is to run the memory without xmp. 

I changed everything except the cpu and ram so I doubt it's that. I just went back to 8gb, I'll live on that until I can afford to build a new pc I guess

2 minutes ago, EmptyWallet said:

I changed everything except the cpu and ram so I doubt it's that. I just went back to 8gb, I'll live on that until I can afford to build a new pc I guess

Again check if you have the latest bios installed. Usually those improve memory compatibility a lot.