Is this a PSU issue?

plee82

PSU is a ToughPower GF1 750 Gold. GPU RTX 3070, MOBO B550 Aorus Pro and CPU 3700x.

I am experiencing a very weird issue. If I play a GPU intensive game and then power off the PC normally through windows and try to power on the PC after 5 secs, POST fails with CPU and RAM debug lights flashing back and forth. If I wait 2-5 min, no issues. Now, If I don't do anything that puts a load to the PSU, such as browsing, youtube, etc, and power off the PC and power on right away, no POST issues. None of these issues happen if I just restart Windows, no POST issues at all regardless of what games I was playing. My gut's telling me this is a PSU issue because it's only happening during Power On of the PC. Has anybody seen something like this happening? Checked my temps, during cyberpunk or mhw, hitting 70c on the GPU and 68 on CPU.

19 minutes ago, plee82 said:

PSU is a ToughPower GF1 750 Gold. GPU RTX 3070, MOBO B550 Aorus Pro and CPU 3700x.

I am experiencing a very weird issue. If I play a GPU intensive game and then power off the PC normally through windows and try to power on the PC after 5 secs, POST fails with CPU and RAM debug lights flashing back and forth. If I wait 2-5 min, no issues. Now, If I don't do anything that puts a load to the PSU, such as browsing, youtube, etc, and power off the PC and power on right away, no POST issues. None of these issues happen if I just restart Windows, no POST issues at all regardless of what games I was playing. My gut's telling me this is a PSU issue because it's only happening during Power On of the PC. Has anybody seen something like this happening? Checked my temps, during cyberpunk or mhw, hitting 70c on the GPU and 68 on CPU.

Try with powering your system off, then remove the power cord and hit the power button on the case a couple of times to discharge the capacitors. Then turn the psu off (if it has a dedicated switch in the back), plug the cable back in and turn it on. Sometimes that does the trick.

What happens if you turn off the PC, hit the PSU switch, then try again really soon?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Try with powering your system off, then remove the power cord and hit the power button on the case a couple of times to discharge the capacitors. Then turn the psu off (if it has a dedicated switch in the back), plug the cable back in and turn it on. Sometimes that does the trick.

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What happens if you turn off the PC, hit the PSU switch, then try again really soon?

That's the first thing I did when it first happened. It's hard to know if that fixes it. It is not consistent. The 2-3 min cooldown works 100% of the time. Also, what's more weird, I cannot reproduce this issue the next day for a few hours. Seems like the PC has to be on for a bit before I can start reproducing the issue. I checked all the caps in the MOBO, didn't see any leaky or bulge one so far. I am really confused by this. It's almost like I need the PC to be toasty and warm to reproduce the issue.

Just now, plee82 said:

That's the first thing I did when it first happened. It's hard to know if that fixes it. It is not consistent. The 2-3 min cooldown works 100% of the time. 

Do you have another power supply to test with? Also make sure you are running the latest bios. One more thing you can try is to replace the cmos lithium battery (usually a CR2032 round cell), those can cause gremlins like that as well.  

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Do you have another power supply to test with? Also make sure you are running the latest bios. One more thing you can try is to replace the cmos lithium battery (usually a CR2032 round cell), those can cause gremlins like that as well.  

Oof, that battery is right under the RTX 3070. I wonder if there's any possibility that thing is getting SUPER hot by me playing GPU intensive games so when I power off I have to wait 2-3 min for it to cooldown...