550W PSU and an RTX3060Ti?

TrainNutter
Go to solution Solved by tishous,

You would be fine putting a 3060ti with a 550W PSU. Nvidia say a higher number than what is needed because there are too many different types of systems. For example, someone could be running a Threadripper 3990x (TDP of 280W) so it's a way of protecting themselves from lawsuits etc.

Hi,

My current system has a 550W Corsair CX550 PSU and I was wondering if that would be Ok - ish. With the Gigabyte Gaming Pro RTX3060Ti. 

I currently have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM (Single channel I’m sorry lmao), X370 motherboard and an MSI Armour Radeon RX570 8GB OC. 

I think it would be fine since my current GPU has a TDP of 150W and the 3060Ti’s TDP is 200W

will my PC blow up? 😂

cheers!!

You would be fine putting a 3060ti with a 550W PSU. Nvidia say a higher number than what is needed because there are too many different types of systems. For example, someone could be running a Threadripper 3990x (TDP of 280W) so it's a way of protecting themselves from lawsuits etc.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

2 hours ago, tishous said:

GPU manufacturers also overstate PSU requirements because they have to account for people using crap PSU's which don't actually make the wattage they claim. Maybe, for example, Nvidia knows that a good 650W PSU should be totally fine for a specific model of card, but the problem is some people will be using sketchy "650W" units that might only actually make 500W on a good day. So then because Nvidia doesn't want to hear the complaints from people who bought junk mysterybox PSU's because they didn't know any better, maybe they list the requirement as 750W just to be safe.

@TrainNutter I am currently running a Ryzen 3700X and an RTX 2080 on a Seasonic 550W PSU without any problem. A 2600 and a 3060 ti should be no sweat.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16