Should it smell

SalesDemon
Go to solution Solved by Chris Fortune,
Just now, SalesDemon said:

Once I used the native 8 pin and the 2 molex to 8 pin it's all much better , and no I cannot localize I'll put my nose right on the psu and nothing , but the smell will very subtly linger in the room , no cables are hot anymore though so that's good?

May just be a residual smell from when it was cooking out, I would just keep an eye or nose on it.

Just got a gtx 780ti because it was a really good deal had to buy a new psu to go with it bought a case cheeta series 800 watt psu and started gaming , at first I used just the one 8 pin cable with an adapter to make it 2 8 pins and right away everything got hot the psu and the cables , since then I use the 8;pin and an adapter to use the molex connectores to  an additional 8 pin the card runs better nothing gets hot anymore but after 25 mins I'll get a slight plastic smell like the old xbox 360 , is that normal it's very faint 

Please no negative comments on my pc ik it's a honda civic shit box but if it runs it runs 

IMG_20201222_113429.jpg

IMG_20201222_140817.jpg

IMG_20201222_113422.jpg

one 8-pin to 2x 8-pin sounds like a horrible idea

if your psu doesnt support sufficient 8-pins natively, it's not up to the task

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Can you localise the smell? 

My only concern would be are you overloading the molex conversion as other than that 800W should be fine

6 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

Can you localise the smell? 

My only concern would be are you overloading the molex conversion as other than that 800W should be fine

Once I used the native 8 pin and the 2 molex to 8 pin it's all much better , and no I cannot localize I'll put my nose right on the psu and nothing , but the smell will very subtly linger in the room , no cables are hot anymore though so that's good?

Just now, SalesDemon said:

May just be a residual smell from when it was cooking out, I would just keep an eye or nose on it.

That PSU looks, sounds, and smells like a house fire waiting to happen.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

You're probably smelling the insulation of the wires or the molex connectors melting.

The 780ti video card can consume up to 280 watts, so it really needs those 2 8 pin connectors, it will take up to around 250 watts through those, so around 125 watts through each connector.

A single molex connector is only good for up to around 5A or around 60 watts - even with using a 2 x molex -> pci-e 8 pin adapter AND using two separate strands of molex connectors to have 2  12v wires all the way to the power supply, you're pushing it.

Also, you DO NOT HAVE A 800w power supply, it's a SHIT power supply that's probably barely rated for 400-450 watts.

When the video card consumes up to 280 watts and the rest of your computer probably gets close to 100 watts, so around 400 watts in total, the power supply produces a lot of heat due to its low efficiency.

You took the picture so perfectly that the label on the power supply is not readable -  take a proper picture of the label or write what it says on it.

But I'll keep it simple... you'll see there 12v and some number with an  A after it, that's the current. 12v multiplied by that current value gives you the maximum amount the power supply can give on 12v.  So if you see there 30A , then - if the label doesn't lie - that shit power supply can only provide  12v x 30A = 360 watts on 12v , which is used to power video card, cpu and fans in your computer.

I would take whatever number is on that label and right away multiply it with 0.9 , for example if it says 30A it's probably lying and it's closer to 30x0.9 = 27A

Can you return the power supply and not buy a generic piece of garbage?

Pro tip:  That is NOT an 800W PSU.  It only does 450W before exploding.  That's why it only comes with the one cable.  Because they know if you power a card that needs more, it will set your house on fire.  If you buy adapters to make it work and your house catches fire, your lawyer will go to X-Case and X-Case's defense will be "the fire wasn't because of the PSU, the fire was because the user used adapters" and the case will get thrown out of court.

Seriously.

35 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You're probably smelling the insulation of the wires or the molex connectors melting

Hmm I suspect the smell comes from the internals of the psu rather than the connectors/wires. It takes a fair bit of heat to melt those. Especially as:

1 hour ago, SalesDemon said:

no cables are hot anymore

It's not any of the cables or adapters , those are no longer generating heat , the smell is coming from the psu if I put my nose where the hot air comes out of it's where it will smell the most , how ever the smell is not as strong as when I had first had it set up , but it still smells a bit after an hour or so of cod , I've been monitoring and as far as heat goes Its much better after the changes I made with the cabling , the smell still freaks me out I'm thinking about getting my money back on the psu and selling the 780ti bit then I'd only have my vega 8 graphics and I like the higher resolution and fps , decisions decisions

11 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Hmm I suspect the smell comes from the internals of the psu rather than the connectors/wires. It takes a fair bit of heat to melt those. Especially as:

It's deff the internals , it's got a decent fuse from what I was able to to see, I did want to make sure nothing looked melty , the smell is more and more faint but honestly just smells like warm plastic when I push the card , I'ma just advantage it's winter place it closer to the window and sell the card maybe get an rx 580